In article <1991Apr22.202418.2154@cs.columbia.edu> leland@cs.columbia.edu (Leland Woodbury) writes:

   From: leland@cs.columbia.edu (Leland Woodbury)
   Newsgroups: comp.unix.aix,gnu.misc.discuss
   Date: 22 Apr 91 20:24:18 GMT
   Sender: leland@cs.columbia.edu (Leland Woodbury)

   The title says it all:  Has anyone ported GNU-make to the IBM RS-6000
   running AIX?  I ran into troubles with arscan.c (the format of AIX's .a
   files appears to be somewhat alternative), but before I dig into it, I
   figured I'd try the net to see if someone's already solved this.

   Thanks.

   Leland Woodbury
   --
   INTERNET: leland@cs.columbia.edu
     USENET: ...!columbia!cs.columbia.edu!leland

I have been wondering the same thing.  Apparently, it is due to
be released with gcc-2.00, whenever that appears.  I would like
very much to have it available because I also want G++ on this
box.

Alas, there also may be a political problem arising with IBM and
lawsuits, so the AIX/RS6000 port may *never* be available from
FSF.

Oh well.
--

Andy Edwards * Computer Science Dept. * Iowa State University * Ames, IA 50011
INTERNET: jae@iastate.edu               PHONE: (515) 294-0774

andreess@mrlaxe.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) (04/25/91)

In article <JAE.91Apr24131258@pv031e.iastate.edu> jae@iastate.edu (Edwards John Andrew) writes:
>   The title says it all:  Has anyone ported GNU-make to the IBM RS-6000
>   running AIX?  I ran into troubles with arscan.c (the format of AIX's .a
>   files appears to be somewhat alternative), but before I dig into it, I
>   figured I'd try the net to see if someone's already solved this.
>
>I have been wondering the same thing.  Apparently, it is due to
>be released with gcc-2.00, whenever that appears.  I would like
>very much to have it available because I also want G++ on this
>box.

Look on export.lcs.mit.edu, in contrib/gmake-6000.tar.Z.  I ported
it myself before seeing this; it really isn't that difficult to do
yourself if you're willing to weed out the differences between what
the distribution expects and what AIX provides.

>Alas, there also may be a political problem arising with IBM and
>lawsuits, so the AIX/RS6000 port may *never* be available from
>FSF.

Huh?  This is new... the only problem I ever heard about was actually
shipping Emacs with the system.  Is there something else?  (According
to the FSF, GCC/G++ will support the RS/6000; also, Emacs 18.57 does
right now...)

Marc

--
Marc Andreessen___________University of Illinois Materials Research Laboratory
Internet: andreessen@uimrl7.mrl.uiuc.edu____________Bitnet: andreessen@uiucmrl

perham@cyklop.nada.kth.se (Per Hammarlund) (04/25/91)

   Alas, there also may be a political problem arising with IBM and
   lawsuits, so the AIX/RS6000 port may *never* be available from
   FSF.

Could someone please fill in some details here?

per

guidry@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (David A Guidry) (05/04/91)

In article <1991Apr24.200143.26406@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> andreess@mrlaxe.mrl.uiuc.edu (Marc Andreessen) writes:
>In article <JAE.91Apr24131258@pv031e.iastate.edu> jae@iastate.edu (Edwards John Andrew) writes:
>>   The title says it all:  Has anyone ported GNU-make to the IBM RS-6000
>>   running AIX?  I ran into troubles with arscan.c (the format of AIX's .a
>>   files appears to be somewhat alternative), but before I dig into it, I
>>   figured I'd try the net to see if someone's already solved this.
>
>Look on export.lcs.mit.edu, in contrib/gmake-6000.tar.Z.  I ported

Well, I ported it from export...let it sit around a few days and accidently
nuked it.  I tried porting it from export again and export seems to have
had every record of its existence wiped from the face of the earth.  Does
anybody know the current FQDN for this machine?  Anybody know the IP#?

While I'm at it...where can emacs-18.57 be found?

Dave
--
David A. Guidry      |  empire: guaranteed to      | Unfortunately, we did not
Student Consultant   |  lower your GPA by 2 pts    | realize that he was stupid