[news.software.anu-news] more problems with anu news

timl@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( TIM LAPIN ) (07/11/89)

Hi once again!

There are two more questions that I have in regards to installing News

1)   I ran a file called "news_v58a_fix.com" to introduce a series of
corrections.  Was this a good move?  I ask this because in an attempt
to run newsbuild.com so as to recompile the various nntp files for an
ultrix - vms environment, I noticed the file NEWSDIST.C would not
compile.  It complained of certain variables not being defined or used
properly in the required scope:  st, stat_t, s_stat, a_stat.

2)   Is it necessary to specify the "ihave/sendme" protocol in NEWS.SYS?
How about a batch file for posting?  (vms client to ultrix server)

Tim Lapin

internet:  timl@maxwell.concordia.ca

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (07/12/89)

In article <967@clyde.Concordia.CA>, timl@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( TIM LAPIN )
 writes:
> 1)   I ran a file called "news_v58a_fix.com" to introduce a series of
> corrections.  Was this a good move?  I ask this because in an attempt
> to run newsbuild.com so as to recompile the various nntp files for an
> ultrix - vms environment, I noticed the file NEWSDIST.C would not
> compile.  It complained of certain variables not being defined or used
> properly in the required scope:  st, stat_t, s_stat, a_stat.

You must be running C version 3.  The structure of the DEC include files has
changed in the latest version of C.  I think you will need to include unixio.h
to get these defined, although I haven't tried this personally, since we
haven't installed the latest C yet.

> 2)   Is it necessary to specify the "ihave/sendme" protocol in NEWS.SYS?
> How about a batch file for posting?  (vms client to ultrix server)

What you need to specify in NEWS.SYS is how you would like the messages stored
on your system so that a batch job can send them to the remote system.  If you
are going to use IHAVE/SENDME to send to the remote system, then you should
specify N in the third field of the NEWS.SYS line for the system in question.
If you want the actual messages batched together in standard RFC1036 batches,
then you should specify B.  If you are using NNTP, you probably want to use N.
Then, in the 4th field of the NEWS.SYS line, you will specify a file. NEWS
will append the message ID of any article that needs to be sent to this system
to this file.  Periodically, a batch job should be run which will send these
message IDs to the remote system, presumably using the NNTP_FEED program
provided with NEWS. There are a couple of examples of such batch jobs in the
NEWS distrubition, NEWSSKIM.COM and NEWSSKIM_ALT.COM.
|  Bob Sloane        \Internet: SLOANE@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU/Anything I said is |
|  Computer Center    \ BITNET: SLOANE@UKANVAX.BITNET   / my opinion, not my |
|  University of Kansas\  AT&T: (913) 864-0444         /  employer's.        |