[news.software.anu-news] Signature files for local/nonlocal postings

tinkelman@CCAVAX.CAMB.COM (Bob Tinkelman) (07/14/89)

I have a wish-list item, albeit a very minor one.  I've put together a mail
signature file (see below) which, although I'll probably cut it back to fewer
lines, seems appropriate for news I post "to the net".  However, when I post
an item to one of a number of our "local" newsgroups, I always delete it as
it seems silly.  I guess what I'm wishing for is a way to tell NEWS "include
my signature file on nonlocal postings only."
--
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Bob Tinkelman                       | Internet: bob@ccavax.camb.com         |

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (07/15/89)

In article <2557@ccavax.camb.com>, Bob Tinkelman <tinkelman@CCAVAX.CAMB.COM>
 writes:
> I have a wish-list item, albeit a very minor one.  I've put together a mail
> signature file (see below) which, although I'll probably cut it back to fewer
> lines, seems appropriate for news I post "to the net".  However, when I post
> an item to one of a number of our "local" newsgroups, I always delete it as
> it seems silly.  I guess what I'm wishing for is a way to tell NEWS "include
> my signature file on nonlocal postings only."

How about adding a /SIGNATURE qualifer to the appropiate commands?  Bob could
use /NOSIG when posting to local groups.  It might also be nice to be able to
say POST/SIGNATURE=file to override the logical name.  This should be fairly
easy to implement.
+-------------------+-------------------------------------+------------------+
|  Bob Sloane        \Internet: SLOANE@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU/Anything I said is |
|  Computer Center    \ BITNET: SLOANE@UKANVAX.BITNET   / my opinion, not my |
|  University of Kansas\  AT&T: (913) 864-0444         /  employer's.        |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------+----------------------+

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (07/17/89)

Bob Tinkelman writes --

>I have a wish-list item, albeit a very minor one.  I've put together a mail
>signature file (see below) which, although I'll probably cut it back to fewer
>lines, seems appropriate for news I post "to the net".  However, when I post
>an item to one of a number of our "local" newsgroups, I always delete it as
>it seems silly.  I guess what I'm wishing for is a way to tell NEWS "include
>my signature file on nonlocal postings only."

Sounds fair enough I suppose - I'll see what I can do...

Geoff