[news.software.anu-news] News V5.9 availability?

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (07/15/89)

In article <8907140514.AA18337@uunet.uu.net>, Geoff Huston
 <munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUNET.UU.NET> writes:
> V5.9 will be released in a few weeks which will include the commands
>
>   OPEN/MAIL and CLOSE/MAIL
>
> which will allow NEWS to be used as a mail user agent (with a set of additional
> commands to manage your mail file).

Sounds great.  How do I get a copy to put up for anonymous ftp?  What other
changes will be included?
+-------------------+-------------------------------------+------------------+
|  Bob Sloane        \Internet: SLOANE@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU/Anything I said is |
|  Computer Center    \ BITNET: SLOANE@UKANVAX.BITNET   / my opinion, not my |
|  University of Kansas\  AT&T: (913) 864-0444         /  employer's.        |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------+----------------------+

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (07/16/89)

Will the diffs from 5.8->5.9 be made available in this newsgroup?

	Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{mcvax,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (07/17/89)

Tim Russell <CONSLT32%UNOMA1.BITNET@VM1.NoDak.EDU> writes:
> Usually Geoff does a seperate distribution for a major release..  So
> I kind of doubt it.  Besides, I don't trust those SLP diffs.  I need
> to work on porting Larry Wall's patch to VMS so we can use context
> diffs.  That would be much better.

Do you have any specific evidence that SLP diffs are less reliable than the
patch program or is this just your personal feelings?  Other than the BITNET
problems of folding lines at 80 columns (which would kill the patch program)
what problems have you had with SLP diffs?  Why should we depend on a program
that is unsupported for VMS when we have a program that works and IS
supported? How do we know that this patch program will be any better than SLP
diffs?  I think we should stick with something that is a supported product and
that everyone has already.
+-------------------+-------------------------------------+------------------+

CONSLT32@UNOMA1.BITNET (Tim Russell) (07/18/89)

Johan Vromans <jv@MH.NL> writes:
> Will the diffs from 5.8->5.9 be made available in this newsgroup?

Usually Geoff does a seperate distribution for a major release..  So
I kind of doubt it.  Besides, I don't trust those SLP diffs.  I need
to work on porting Larry Wall's patch to VMS so we can use context
diffs.  That would be much better.

--
---------------------------------+--------------------------------------------
 Tim Russell, Computer Operator  | Internet: russell@zeus.unl.edu

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (07/22/89)

Without  wishing to curtail an interesting discussion on the realative merits
of SLP and patch I must admit that I would like to continue with using
readily availabel tools --- therefore...

My intentions are to post out the full V5.9 sources in a multi part VMS-SHARE
set in mid august.

Subsequent patches posted from myself will be SLP diffs packaged with VMS-SHARE

(I must admit that i'm suprised that areas of V5.8 ever worked!! - after being
forced to look closely at a number of sections in SKIM and NEWSREMCLIENT it
seems that theC 2.4 compiler was smart enough to figure out what I really meant
rather than what I typed -- C3.0 is a little less forgiving)

cheers
Geoff