[news.software.anu-news] NNTP server suggestion.

Mats.Sundvall@bmc.uu.se (Mats Sundvall) (07/18/89)

I have asked this before but...

Is it possible to have the NNTP server add the news entries into
the database when it is recieved instead of writing it to a file for
later processing by NEWS/ADD.

The advantage with this is a more interactive news network with the entry
available for reading directly when recieved by the system.

I suppose some performance will be gained as we do not have to write
all these temporary files.

By the way. If you look into the code there used to be a lot of temporary
files written by the news system. Is this really necessary. On a high volume
news machine, disk accesses will be a limiting factor even without reading
and writing all these temp files.

--
		Mats Sundvall

		Biomedical Center		+46/18174583
		University of Uppsala		Mats.Sundvall@BMC.UU.SE
		Sweden				psi%24020019700620::MATS

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (07/21/89)

In article <1736@bmc.uu.se>, Mats.Sundvall@bmc.uu.se (Mats Sundvall) writes:
> Is it possible to have the NNTP server add the news entries into
> the database when it is recieved instead of writing it to a file for
> later processing by NEWS/ADD.

I agree this would be a good thing to do, but I doubt that it will happen. The
problem is that there is no method of synchronizing two processes updateing
the database files concurently. Currently, NEWS works reasonably well because
the vast majority of the database updating is done by a single job.  Real,
live NEWS readers just don't post things that often, so it doesn't happen very
often that two processes try to update the database at the same time.  If the
NNTP server also updated the database, there would be more problems. Actually,
it does post articles directly when the POST command is used.

> The advantage with this is a more interactive news network with the entry
> available for reading directly when recieved by the system.

Couldn't you just run the batch job to do the updates more frequently and get
much the same effect?  It doesn't seem like a big problem if it takes an extra
10 minutes for something to appear.  If it is really important that you see
the articles as soon as possible, why not set up the group as served on the
remote system, and read it directly from there?
+-------------------+-------------------------------------+------------------+
|  Bob Sloane        \Internet: SLOANE@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU/Anything I said is |
|  Computer Center    \ BITNET: SLOANE@UKANVAX.BITNET   / my opinion, not my |
|  University of Kansas\  AT&T: (913) 864-0444         /  employer's.        |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------+----------------------+

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (08/01/89)

>In article <1736@bmc.uu.se>, Mats.Sundvall@bmc.uu.se (Mats Sundvall) writes:
>> Is it possible to have the NNTP server add the news entries into
>> the database when it is recieved instead of writing it to a file for
>> later processing by NEWS/ADD.
>
>I agree this would be a good thing to do, but I doubt that it will happen. The
>problem is that there is no method of synchronizing two processes updateing
>the database files concurently. Currently, NEWS works reasonably well because
>the vast majority of the database updating is done by a single job.  Real,
>live NEWS readers just don't post things that often, so it doesn't happen very
>often that two processes try to update the database at the same time.  If the
>NNTP server also updated the database, there would be more problems. Actually,
>it does post articles directly when the POST command is used.

The problem is not one of synchronization - synchronization is handled by use
of RMS locks in records in both database files. The problem is simply one of
the complexity of the changes which are necessary - the environment of the ADD
procedures is not easily imported into the NNTP_SERVER process.

Geoff Huston
gih900@csc.anu.oz.au