From: REGGERS@uwovax.uwo.ca (Reg Quinton)
Newsgroups: local.newusers
Subject: Posting an Article -- a simple editor
Date: 1 Aug 89 10:42:26 EDT

Many new  users of ANU/NEWS (especially those  new  to  Vax/VMS) have great
difficulty posting their first article.  The  problem  is that News assumes
you know a bit about Vax/VMS already -- in  particular that you  know about
the default editor.  This is often a faulty assumption  and naive users are
rightly distressed when they find  themselves put  into  a strange editting
environment. Composing text can, and should be, simpler than that!

We have therefore defined a procedure for entered  text which easier to use
(but without all  the power  of a  Vax/VMS  editor). We would encourage all
beginning users to set their profile as follows:

	News> set profile/editor=@news_manager:noedit

There are several other profile  setting discussed in both  the help system
and  the manual.  If you  have set your profile   as above then  the "Post"
command will use this procedure for composing your message -- the procedure
will say

	Enter text, end with ^Z (Control-Z)
	-----

You may  then enter  your  message a line   at a time   with the usual line
editting features  of VMS.  You end  your text  with  a Control-Z character
which is constructed by typing a `Z' while holding down the `Control' key.

Once you have learned an editor on the Vax/VMS environment you can then set
your profile accordingly, for example

	News> set profile/editor=emacs

--
Telephone:	(519) 661 2151 x6026 (a real person and not a machine)
Canada:		reggers@uwo.ca (used to be UWO.CDN)

$ ! The most primitive editor for news -- read from your console
$ !
$ ! Reg Quinton <reggers@uwovax>; 1-Aug-89
$ !
$ if p1 .eqs. ""
$ then
$	write sys$output "Oops .... missing parameter"
$	exit
$ else
$	write sys$output "Enter text, end with ^Z (Control-Z)"
$	write sys$output "-----"
$	copy sys$command 'p1'
$ endif