Instead, it generates:

From: bogus
From: juser@etc.uucp
Newsgroup: etc.
etc. etc.

With the 2 FROM lines, it seems as though News forgets the first one
when it reads the second one.  This is exactly what I want and it
works... usually.

The problem is that many of the posts (10%?) go into the JUNK
newsgroup.

Is my (really ugly) hack causing these messages to go to JUNK, or is
it some other bug I'm hitting?

Thanks,
Tom
---
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389
:)   Standard Disclaimer: I am not the mouth-piece of Drew University
(:  "DEC's All-In-1 isn't completely useless, but it's a nice attempt."

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (08/09/89)

Tom Limoncelli writes --

>I am now getting a 1-newsgroup feed via MAIL.  To do this, I hacked
>up a quick filter which makes everything look just like it came by an
>unbatched mail-feed as usual.  The only difference is that since NEWS
>expects FROM: to be the first header-line, I did a really screwy
>hack.

It all depends if you do an EXTRACT/HEADER or EXTRACT/NOHEADER to get a file to
add into NEWS.... I assume you're doing an EXTRACT/NOHEADER.

>  Since I didn't want the filter to have to store up lines, etc
>until it got the FROM: line and then write that one out first.
>Instead, it generates:
>
>From: bogus
>From: juser@etc.uucp
>Newsgroup: etc.
>etc. etc.
>
>With the 2 FROM lines, it seems as though News forgets the first one
>when it reads the second one.  This is exactly what I want and it
>works... usually.

No it works all the time - the parser is not that smart

>The problem is that many of the posts (10%?) go into the JUNK
>newsgroup.
>Is my (really ugly) hack causing these messages to go to JUNK, or is
>it some other bug I'm hitting?

This is not the bogus From: line... can you mail me a copy of a file which
fails please so I can hack at it??

Thanks,

Geoff Huston
gih900@csc1.anu.oz.au