[news.software.anu-news] Rename newsgroups?

TLIMONCE@DRUNIVAC.BITNET (Elvis & Drew, NOT Perfect Together) (07/24/89)

I know this isn't needed often, but there are times that I'd
like to be able to rename local groups.  Currently, I delete
the old one and create a new one under the new name but it would
be nice if I didn't have to lose all those messages.

-Tom

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (07/24/89)

In article <ANU-NEWS%89072313295703@NDSUVM1> <TLIMONCE@DRUNIVAC.BITNET> writes:
> I know this isn't needed often, but there are times that I'd
> like to be able to rename local groups.  Currently, I delete
> the old one and create a new one under the new name but it would
> be nice if I didn't have to lose all those messages.

I haven't actually tried this, but how about creating an alias that maps to
old group to the new group in NEWS.ALIASES and then doing:

NEWS> CREATE NEWSGROUP new.group/LOCAL
NEWS> ADD FILE/RETRY NEWS_DEVICE:[old.group]*.ITM
NEWS> DELETE NEWSGROUP old.group

It seems like it should work.
+-------------------+-------------------------------------+------------------+
|  Bob Sloane        \Internet: SLOANE@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU/Anything I said is |
|  Computer Center    \ BITNET: SLOANE@UKANVAX.BITNET   / my opinion, not my |
|  University of Kansas\  AT&T: (913) 864-0444         /  employer's.        |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------+----------------------+

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (07/24/89)

Wow!  Thanks!

I don't really remember NEWS.ALIAS in the documentation.  What is it?

-Tom
--
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (07/24/89)

In article <Jul.23.18.49.35.1989.14735@pilot.njin.net>, limonce@pilot.njin.net
 (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> Wow!  Thanks!

You are welcome.  I thought it might work, but I wasn't sure.  I use the trick
of "ADD FILE/RETRY NEWS_DEVICE:[JUNK]*.ITM" to repost items that came in
before a newsgroup was created.

> I don't really remember NEWS.ALIAS in the documentation.  What is it?

The documentation is in Chapter 10, section 10.8 of the V5.8 manual.
Basically, it is used to map one newsgroup name to another. For example, I
used to occasionally get articles that had "Newsgroup: net.info-vax" ending up
in junk.  I just added a line to the NEWS.ALIASES file like:

net.info-vax comp.os.vms

and the articles were routed to the proper group.
+-------------------+-------------------------------------+------------------+

GPWRDCS@gp.govt.nz (Don Stokes, GPO) (08/04/89)

In article <6342@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) writes:

> I haven't actually tried this, but how about creating an alias that maps to
> old group to the new group in NEWS.ALIASES and then doing:
>
> NEWS> CREATE NEWSGROUP new.group/LOCAL
> NEWS> ADD FILE/RETRY NEWS_DEVICE:[old.group]*.ITM
> NEWS> DELETE NEWSGROUP old.group

We had to do something like that here, although for different reasons.
Somebody here (not mentioning any names, eh Martin!) left a minor bug in
the NEWSSKIM command file after upgrading to V5.8 that blew both
NEWS.ITEMS and NEWS.GROUPS files to Kingdom Come.  Result, a directory
tree full of newsitems, but no news.

We thought that just ADDing [...]*.ITM would fix it, but alas, no.
The message path in the item files *includes* the local node, resulting
in a path loop on every message, and subsequent rejection.  The following
routine was used to fix up the mess (we keep it around, just in case):

------------------FIX_NEWS.README---Cut-at-dotted-line-------------------
To run this (after news as gone belly up due to loss of NEWS.ITEMS and/or
NEWS.GROUPS):

Delete NEWS.ITEMS and NEWS.GROUPS files.

Rename all item top level directories from NEWS_DEVICE:[000000]*.DIR to
[NEWSBCK].

Run NEWS and get past the licensing info (creates news versions of
files), and exit back to DCL

Run the command file.  Run in batch - this will take a long time.

Delete [NEWSBCK...]*.* after checking log file.

Pray that it doesn't happen again.
-------------------------End-of-FIX_NEWS.README--------------------------

--------------------FIX_NEWS.COM---Cut-at-dotted-line--------------------
$       set verify
$	set process/privilege=(bypass,exquota)
$	on warning then exit
$ loop:
$	file = f$search("[newsbck.*...]*.itm")
$	if file .eqs. "" then goto add_items
$	file = f$element(0, ";", file)
$	edit/edt/nocommand 'file'
set search exact
find "Path: "
substitute/Path: gpwd!/Path: /  ! gpwd is our node name
exit
$	purge/keep=1 'file'
$	goto loop
$ add_items:
$	news := $NEWS_ROOT:[news]NEWS
$	news/noscreen
add file [newsbck.*...]*.ITM/cregroup
exit
$	exit
---------------------------End-of-FIX_NEWS.COM---------------------------

Note that after doing this, all news is marked as arriving at the time of
the run.  This tends to freak the newsgroup expiry a little - watch the
disk usage steadily climb, and then shrink dramatically as the newsgroup
expiry nails all the messages re-added by this procedure!

Don Stokes, Systems Programmer    /  /   Domain:                  don@gp.govt.nz
Government Printing Office,      /GP/   PSImail:          PSI%0530147000028::DON
Wellington, New Zealand         /  /   UUCP:  ...!munnari!vuwcomp!windy!gpwd!don
Any program will expand to fill all available memory.

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (08/05/89)

In article <98@gp.govt.nz>, GPWRDCS@gp.govt.nz (Don Stokes, GPO) writes:
> In article <6342@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) writes:
>>
>> I haven't actually tried this, but how about creating an alias that maps to
>> old group to the new group in NEWS.ALIASES and then doing:
>>
>> NEWS> CREATE NEWSGROUP new.group/LOCAL
>> NEWS> ADD FILE/RETRY NEWS_DEVICE:[old.group]*.ITM
>> NEWS> DELETE NEWSGROUP old.group
>
> We thought that just ADDing [...]*.ITM would fix it, but alas, no.
> The message path in the item files *includes* the local node, resulting
> in a path loop on every message, and subsequent rejection.

That is why I specified /RETRY in the above example.  The /RETRY qualifier on
the ADD FILE command tells news to ignore Path: header loops when adding the
message.  I have never had any problems using this procedure, although, as
another poster pointed out, the articles may not be added in the exact same
order they were in in the original group.
+-------------------+-------------------------------------+------------------+
|  Bob Sloane        \Internet: SLOANE@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU/Anything I said is |
|  Computer Center    \ BITNET: SLOANE@UKANVAX.BITNET   / my opinion, not my |
|  University of Kansas\  AT&T: (913) 864-0444         /  employer's.        |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------+----------------------+

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (08/09/89)

In connection with renaming newsgroups...

The solution as posted is about the only way to do it properly.. i.e.:

>> creating an alias that maps to
>> old group to the new group in NEWS.ALIASES and then doing:
>>
>> NEWS> CREATE NEWSGROUP new.group/LOCAL
>> NEWS> ADD FILE/RETRY NEWS_DEVICE:[old.group]*.ITM
>> NEWS> DELETE NEWSGROUP old.group

The reason why you have to go this long way around is to alter the text files
in the newsgroup such that the Newsgroups: header line reflects the name
change.

However there is a faster, dirtier method in code which involves modifying the
newsgroup record by altering the newsgroup name (thereby binding the newsgroup
internal number to a new name) and renaming the .itm files from the old
directory into the new directory.

Now is the lack of RENAME a REAL problem?? (I ask this cause I must admit that
I don't see the need for it myself, but will do something in response to a
critical mass of deperate pleas!!)

Geoff Huston
gih900@csc.anu.oz.au