From: LARRY@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (LARRY MICHALEWICZ...VAX OPERATOR)
Newsgroups: anunews
Subject: SKIM.com
Date: 3 Aug 89 12:20:13 GMT

     After adding about 300 NNTP served newsgroups we ran into the problem of
our daily SKIM com file takes about 14 hours (real time) to run.  Any ideas on
how we can reduce the time it takes.

BTW..we are running ANU vers. 5.8a and VMS v5.1-1

thanks.....Larry

Larry Michalewicz              BitNet: LARRY@UNTVAX
Vax Programmer/Operator        THENET: NTVAXB::LARRY
Student of computer Science    Inter : LARRY@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
University of North Texas      SPAN  : UTSPAN::UTADNX::NTVAXB::LARRY
Denton, Texas  76203           AT&T  : 1 (817) 565-5578

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (08/10/89)

larry michalewicz writes ---

>     After adding about 300 NNTP served newsgroups we ran into the problem of
>our daily SKIM com file takes about 14 hours (real time) to run.  Any ideas on
>how we can reduce the time it takes.
>
>BTW..we are running ANU vers. 5.8a and VMS v5.1-1

Try SKIM/NOFILECHECK to reduce the amount of file lookups performed by NEWS.

Secondly you may also include the qualifier /NODIRECT to remove the directory
pass

I suspect that the major component of the SKIM is the NNTP transactions between
the client and server - you can reduce this by reducing the item retention time
on the client. Apart from that then the major overhead is simply shipping out
over NNTP lists of what the client thinks the server has in each newsgroup, and
the server shipping back a list of new items to add and old items to delete
from the client's database.

Geoff Huston