[news.software.anu-news] Problems creating moderated groups.

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (08/08/89)

Hi All,

I just tried to create the new newsgroup news.announce.newgroups which should
be moderated.  I used the command:

NEWS> create newsgroup/mod news.announce.newgroups

but the newsgroup was not created moderated, and no error message was
generated. It turns out that the routine get_input_dflt is having problems
trying to confirm the moderator address.  I have the line:

backbone %s@ucbvax.berkeley.edu in the mailpaths file, so the line
SMG$READ_COMPOSED_LINE was trying to work with was:

Moderator for news.announce.newgroups: news-announce-newgroups@ucbvax.\
berkeley.edu

Which is apparently too long to display, since a 20 (invalid parameter) was
returned. I am not quite sure how to fix this problem, but the group can be
set moderated by specifying an explicit moderator address:

NEWS> create newsgroup/mod=x news.announce.newgroups

and then fixing the moderator address in the mailpaths file by hand.

While I was looking into this problem, I noticed that there were duplicate
entries on the mailpaths file for moderated newsgroups. I don't see this as a
big problem, but eventually, it might cause preformance problems, as the file
gets really large.
+-------------------+-------------------------------------+------------------+
|  Bob Sloane        \Internet: SLOANE@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU/Anything I said is |
|  Computer Center    \ BITNET: SLOANE@UKANVAX.BITNET   / my opinion, not my |
|  University of Kansas\  AT&T: (913) 864-0444         /  employer's.        |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------+----------------------+

edb_tom@tor.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) (08/10/89)

In article <8105@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) writes:
> I just tried to create the new newsgroup news.announce.newgroups which should
> be moderated.  [...]

Does this mean that, for every moderated newsgroup, I have to find out
who the moderator is, and then manually tell NEWS that the group is
moderated, and by that person?

-tih

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (08/11/89)

In article <42@tor.nhh.no>, edb_tom@tor.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) writes:
> In article <8105@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) writes:
>> I just tried to create the new newsgroup news.announce.newgroups which should
>> be moderated.  [...]
>
> Does this mean that, for every moderated newsgroup, I have to find out
> who the moderator is, and then manually tell NEWS that the group is
> moderated, and by that person?

No. Create the newsgroup by using:

NEWS> create newsgroup/mod=x news.announce.newgroups

Then use your favorite editor to edit NEWS_MANAGER:MAILPATHS.  There will be a
line somewhere in MAILPATHS like:

news.announce.newgroups x

You just need to delete the " x" at the end of the line.  There should also be
a line in the MAILPATHS file like:

backbone %s@some-backbone.some.net

which will tell NEWS the address of the nearest backbone site.  Backbone site
names can be found in the postings to news.admin titled:

How to Construct the Mailpaths File (Updated: 21 Jul 1989)

By the way, it wouldn't be that hard to put in the addresses of all of the
moderators, since they are posted monthly in news.groups by Gene Spafford. See
the articles titled: List of Moderators (Updated: 21 Jul 1989) in news.groups.
+-------------------+-------------------------------------+------------------+

gih900@csc.anu.oz (Geoff Huston) (08/21/89)

>In article <8105@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) wri
>tes:
>> I just tried to create the new newsgroup news.announce.newgroups which should
>> be moderated.  [...]
>
>Does this mean that, for every moderated newsgroup, I have to find out
>who the moderator is, and then manually tell NEWS that the group is
>moderated, and by that person?

Not by intention - the MAILPATHS file does all this by simplying directing all
modifier-destined mail towards the closest USENET backbone site which does
maintain a full modifier address list.

Geoff Huston
gih900@csc.anu.oz.au

edb_tom@tor.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) (08/25/89)

In article <644@csc.anu.oz>, gih900@csc.anu.oz (Geoff Huston) writes:

>>Does this mean that, for every moderated newsgroup, I have to find out
>>who the moderator is, and then manually tell NEWS that the group is
>>moderated, and by that person?
>
> Not by intention - the MAILPATHS file does all this by simplying directing all
> modifier-destined mail towards the closest USENET backbone site which does
> maintain a full modifier address list.

Looks to me like this doesn't work right:  When I create a local,
moderated newsgroup, the protection shows an "m" that indicates this.
For a netwide moderated group, I can't get it to show that "m", although
the moderator's address does get into the MAILPATHS file.  I haven't
dared post anything into a moderated group yet...  :-)

-tih

--
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, NHH, Bergen, Norway.  Telephone:  +47-5-959205
edb_tom@tor.nhh.no, thelbekk@norunit.bitnet, helbekkmo@nhh.uninett

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (08/25/89)

In article <70@tor.nhh.no>, edb_tom@tor.nhh.no (Tom Ivar Helbekkmo) writes:
> Looks to me like this doesn't work right:  When I create a local,
> moderated newsgroup, the protection shows an "m" that indicates this.
> For a netwide moderated group, I can't get it to show that "m", although
> the moderator's address does get into the MAILPATHS file.  I haven't
> dared post anything into a moderated group yet...  :-)

Moderated newsgroups work just fine.  The only problem is getting them
created, and I posted a work-around solution for that in article
<8333@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>.  The "m" indicates that the person is the moderator
for the group.  Since you are probably not the moderator for a netwide group,
you won't see the "m" on these groups.