[news.software.anu-news] MAILPATHS. syntax

jeh%SIMPACT.uucp@uunet.uu.net (Jamie Hanrahan) (08/30/89)

In a note to the VMSnet mailing list,
Jonathan M. Prigot <wrgrac1!j_prigot@UUNET.UU.NET> writes...

> (Although this refers to ANU-NEWS, I am posting it here since it is bundled
> with DECUS uucp.)
> I recently tried to send an article to a moderated newsgroup, but the response
> blew up because of the addressing syntax in the NEWS_MANAGER:MAILPATHS. file.
>
> This didn't work:		backbone	%s@eddie.mit.edu
> This does work:		backbone	uucp%%"""%s@eddie.mit.edu"""
>
> The %% preserves the uucp% construct, while the """'s preserve the " around
> the username.

I'm puzzled about this.  It makes sense on the surface, but down in
my NEWS_ADDRESS.CNF there's a section that reads

# any other internet addresses get redirected to uucp
#
*@*             "uucp%""\001@\002"""

ie, MAILPATHS. shouldn't have to supply the foreign mail protocol syntax for
@-addresses, because NEWS_ADDRESS.CNF will do so.

Or is it perhaps the case that addresses derived from MAILPATHS. (for postings
to moderated groups) don't get rewritten through NEWS_ADDRESS.CNF ?

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

jeh%SIMPACT.uucp@uunet.uu.net (Jamie Hanrahan) (08/30/89)

I just tried it and it works as I suspected (at least under News 5.8;
Jonathan may have 5.7).  MAILPATHS. need not have the uucp%% cruftage
since it's supplied by NEWS_ADDRESS.CNF .