[news.software.anu-news] News V5.9 availability.

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (09/15/89)

Bob,

(and a copy to anu-news list)

>I saw on the VMSNET mailing list that you are about to release V5.9 of NEWS. I
>checked the ftp site you mentioned, and there was a compressed tar file there
>that looked like it might be V5.9.  Is this the official release?  Will you be
>posting source to the mailing list/newsgroup?  Several people have asked about
>V5.9 availability.

There is an anomalous situation in Australia that mail will get out of this
country in about 30 minutes, but NEWS postings take days!!. I posted to
news.software.anu-news the announcement of the V5.9 release yesterday, but it
will take some time to get around..

so heres the details..

* anu-news V5.9 has been released.

* The release is on anonymous ftp, from csc2.anu.oz.au (130.56.1.29), in
  /pub/anu-news (yes - I'm finally connected   :-) )

* the file is 300K in compressed tar format. You can either unpack it on Unix
  (uncompress, then tar) or use the ported versions of these tools on VMS.

* The release only contains SOURCES. I have not had the time to prepare
  documentation updates, or extensively check the help library. This will come
  later when I get the time.

* BUGS - yes many are fixed, and I sure that many have been introduced. You
  will also notice in the ftp area a nntp_tcpcmu diff file (in both diff/patch
  and diff/slp versions) with fixes a problem with the NNTP server with CMU's
  TCP/

* MAIL - yes I have put in a mail interface - but it is VERY SHAKEY - it
  accvio's in strange places and does not work very reliably. To use it the
  commands are OPEN/MAIL to open it and CLOSE/MAIL to send it away. All the
  support code  for the mail interface is in NEWSMAIL.C. As there will be many
  problems with this section for a while yet I would urge you to make some
  attempt to diagnose the offending code before posting problems with using
  the mail interface to the net. In this way I'll get the code cleaned up much
  faster.

Geoff Huston
gih900@csc.anu.oz.au

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (09/15/89)

A postscript to my last mail...

Bob also asked...

>Will you be posting source to the mailing list/newsgroup?

I ran VMS_SHARE across the sources and came up with a 75 part posting!!!

The question now arises, can I get all 75 parts through the net??? (and can all
of your mailboxes survive ! and the reposts will be a bit mind boggling)

If there is a view that I should post the sources I'll do so, but I'll wait for
some discussion on the matter first.

Geoff huston
gih900@csc.anu.oz.au

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (09/18/89)

Bob Sloane writes::

>In NEWSMAIL.C routine do_move_folder, you do:
>
>  all = ((news_context == 1) || (cli$present("ALL") & 1));
>
>which should be:
>
>  all = ((news_context == 1) || (cli$present(c$dsc("ALL")) & 1));
>                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^
correct!!

>Perhaps this version could use some beta testing before being released?

Good point - As I said in the annoucement posting, the mail interface routines
are a) undocumented and b) incomplete. With the very scant time resources I
have right now my choices were either to post where I've got to, or to sit on
it for a few more months trying to tie up these loose ends. As I'd already
committed a release to the net in mid-August I felt that releasing this code
fixed a number of outstanding problems. I'd welcome more comments on the mail
interface and noted problems, as there is a fair deal more to do around this
section of the code.

cheers,

Geoff Huston
gih900@csc.anu.oz