[news.software.anu-news] Old hack or new administrator?

TLIMONCE@DRUNIVAC.BITNET (Tom Limoncelli) (09/15/89)

Well, I've been running ANU NEWS for over a year now (yea Geoff!) but
only as a local site with about 50 Bitnet mailing lists feeding into it.

Now we're really going to be getting on Usenet, so I have to start
doing things "for real" instead of hit-and-miss or else I could make
other Usenet sites angry.

Question #1:

I do have two of our VAXes exchanging news, so it shouldn't be too
hard to get on Usenet, and we have VMS UUCP, but do all the messages
arrive as mail to USENET or is it more complicated than that?

Question #2:

Also, right now, if someone posts to CONTROL or JUNK there isn't
anything to stop them.  Should I make these /RESTRICTED and only have
NEWSMGR be on the member's list?

Thanks!
Tom

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (09/18/89)

Tom Limoncelli writes:...

>Question #1:
>
>I do have two of our VAXes exchanging news, so it shouldn't be too
>hard to get on Usenet, and we have VMS UUCP, but do all the messages
>arrive as mail to USENET or is it more complicated than that?

The RFC on NEWS (1036) indicates a number of ways of transferring NEWS between
USENET sites. In respect to mail there are intended to be two addresses: If the
feed site mails individual news items to the receiving site then the feed site
should mail to the address "inews" on the receiving site. If the news is
batched (using #! rnews delimiters) then the sender should mail to the address
"rnews" on the receiver's site.

>Question #2:
>
>Also, right now, if someone posts to CONTROL or JUNK there isn't
>anything to stop them.  Should I make these /RESTRICTED and only have
>NEWSMGR be on the member's list?

It doesn't matter whether local users post to "junk" or "control" newsgroups -
you should set up the NEWS.SYS file so that these messages go nowhere (or, as
you suggest, set them RESTRICTED). The mechanism to launch control messages
into the USENET is the ability to insert a "Control:" header into the newsitem.
As this point there are only two ways to do this within NEWS: the CANCEL
command generates a "Control: cancel" message, (which only the original
poster, the local supervisor, or the local news manager may generate) or the
command "POST/Control="string"" which is restricted to the local news manager.

cheers,
Geoff Huston
gih900@csc.anu.oz.au

jeh@simpact.com (Jamie Hanrahan) (09/20/89)

In article <ANU-NEWS%89091510123338@NDSUVM1>,
TLIMONCE@DRUNIVAC.BITNET (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> I do have two of our VAXes exchanging news, so it shouldn't be too
> hard to get on Usenet, and we have VMS UUCP, but do all the messages
> arrive as mail to USENET or is it more complicated than that?

That depends on which VMS uucp you have.  If you are running "ours",
that is, DECUS uucp, and you have the current released version (1.1, from
the Spring 89 SIG tape), the "compressed rnews" format which is favored
by Unix news sites is fully supported.  It's explained in the System
Manager's Guide.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh