[news.software.anu-news] Problems with news v5.8 from DECUS, again!

CC007001@WVNVMS.BITNET (Doug Saunders) (09/13/89)

On August 29, 1989, I sent the following message to this list.  As
of yet I haven't received a reply.  So I have decided to run this
one more time.  If anybody has any answers, please let me know.

>I have just started installing NEWS V5.8 from the Spring 89 DECUS
>Symposium tapes and I have a problem I hope someone
>can help me with.  I have checked through all the archive files
>and have not seen this addressed as of yet.
>
>When I link NEWS, I get two undefined symbols, GETHOSTBYNAME
>and HTONS.  Where should I find these routines?

Doug Saunders
West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing
CC007001@WVNVMS.WVNET.EDU
CC007001@WVNVMS.BITNET

jeh@simpact.com (09/22/89)

In article <ANU-NEWS%89091217341916@NDSUVM1>, CC007001@WVNVMS.BITNET
(Doug Saunders) writes:
>I have just started installing NEWS V5.8 from the Spring 89 DECUS
>Symposium tapes and I have a problem I hope someone
>can help me with.  I have checked through all the archive files
>and have not seen this addressed as of yet.
>
>When I link NEWS, I get two undefined symbols, GETHOSTBYNAME
>and HTONS.  Where should I find these routines?
>
> Doug Saunders
> West Virginia Network for Educational Telecomputing
> CC007001@WVNVMS.WVNET.EDU
> CC007001@WVNVMS.BITNET

*I* didn't get these when building News 5.8 (or 5.9 either).  The only
option in the build proc seems to be related to The Wollongong Group (TWG)
TCP/IP support.  Perhaps you have this on your system, and the build proc
is noticing its presence and doing things appropriately.

Anyway, some Unix manuals around here indicate that gethostbyname() and
htons() are part of the call interface to "the network", which I presume
means a tcp/ip network.  I infer that these routines are supposed to be
provided by whatever tcp/ip package you happen to be running.  You probably
need to do something to make such package's object libraries or shareable
images available to News's LINK commands... or else convince NEWSBUILD.COM
that you don't want TCP/IP support.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh