[news.software.anu-news] Meaningful patches

RAND@merrimack.edu (Rand P. Hall) (09/25/89)

$ Set Mode/flame/severity=annoying

What happened to DIFF and PATCH? I thought changes to NEWS (other than
major revisions) were going to be posted as DIFF/PATCH files.

I *certainly* appreciate *everyones'* contributions, especially
Geoff's. BUT, it just gets a bit crazy to start extracting code
segments from postings. If you're going to go through the bother of
posting patches, why not do it in the manner in which the most people
can benefit from it?

$ Set mode/relief

Rand P. Hall                    UUCP: {uunet,bbn,ulowell}!ginosko!hubdub!rand
Merrimack College               CSNET: rand@merrimack.edu
N. Andover, MA 508.683.7111     Dukakis = 15% tax hike + $1.3 billion deficit

fritz@unocss.UUCP (Tim Russell) (09/26/89)

RAND@merrimack.edu (Rand P. Hall) writes:

|What happened to DIFF and PATCH? I thought changes to NEWS (other than
|major revisions) were going to be posted as DIFF/PATCH files.

   Well, in my ideal world they would be.. :-)

    No, seriously, I posted DIFF and PATCH so that people could discuss
the merits of the DIFF/PATCH scheme over the SLP scheme.  This never
happened, unfortunately.  Geoff has provided both SLP and DIFF patches
for the CMUTCP driver (thanks Geoff!) and I hope that this is a trend.

    But as I've said, if not, I'll live.. I just think DIFF patches are
a ittle more tolerant to local changes, etc.

--
Tim Russell   Univ. Of Nebr. at Omaha   russell@{zeus.unl.edu | unoma1.bitnet}
"Don't try to have the last word; you might get it." - Robert A. Heinlein

RAND@merrimack.edu (Rand P. Hall) (09/26/89)

In article <1840@unocss.UUCP>, fritz@unocss.UUCP (Tim Russell) writes:
>     No, seriously, I posted DIFF and PATCH so that people could discuss
> the merits of the DIFF/PATCH scheme over the SLP scheme.  This never
> happened, unfortunately.  Geoff has provided both SLP and DIFF patches
> for the CMUTCP driver (thanks Geoff!) and I hope that this is a trend.

Actually, I don't care if they are diff/patch or SLP. I was commenting on:

    "Well, I found a problem in the foo_bar section of zippy.c
     here's the 50 lines of code that will fix it..."

Again, I'm not complaining--just letting everyone know *I* benefit
from having them posted as FORMAL patches.

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (09/27/89)

"Rand P. Hall" <RAND%MERRIMACK.EDU@VM1.NoDak.EDU> writes:

>$ Set Mode/flame/severity=annoying
>
>What happened to DIFF and PATCH? I thought changes to NEWS (other than
>major revisions) were going to be posted as DIFF/PATCH files.
>
>I *certainly* appreciate *everyones'* contributions, especially
>Geoff's. BUT, it just gets a bit crazy to start extracting code
>segments from postings. If you're going to go through the bother of
>posting patches, why not do it in the manner in which the most people
>can benefit from it?

The code fragments were posted out as replies to particular problems,
indicating the cause of the problem and the way in which it can be
circumvented.

It was (and still is) my intent to consolidate the various changes in V5.9 and
release a set of DIFF and SLP postings in VMS_SHARE format to the net within
the next two weeks. (V5.9A I suppose)

You will continue to see code fragments posted to the net - if the problem
described is bugging you, or if you think that the fix is inappropriate to the
problem then this is perhaps the best opportunity to comment. After it gets
posted as part of the minor version update cycle then the expectation is that
many (if not most) sites will have already made the patch.

Geoff