[news.software.anu-news] Unauthorized newsgroups

newsmgr@manse.cad.cs.man.ac.uk (09/26/89)

We're running v5.6 of anu news.
Whenever anyone without the news_mgr_id attempts to posn news,
the error message
Error: Post - No Authorized Newsgroups specified
appears.
I believe a fix for this was posted - does anyone still know of it?

Robert M

                 Robert A.J.Marshall,
Room 3.08, IT Building, Department of Computer Science,
University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL, U.K.
Tel: (+44) 61-275 6269        Internal: 6269
JANET: marshall@uk.ac.man.cs.cad

SONNEVELD@HLSDNL5.BITNET (Rolf Sonneveld, C35, (070-43)5362) (09/28/89)

Hello, Robert,

        We suffered the same problem as you describe:

> We're running v5.6 of anu news.
> Whenever anyone without the news_mgr_id attempts to posn news,
> the error message
> Error: Post - No Authorized Newsgroups specified
> appears.
> I believe a fix for this was posted - does anyone still know of it?
>
> Robert M

Months ago I posted the same question to the ANU-NEWS list and got the
following answer from Bob Sloane (Thanks, Bob).

| > newsgroup. This ends up in the error message:
| >
| >         error: Post - No Authorized Newsgroup specified.
| >
| > The newsgroup, to which is posted, is NOT restricted, NOT moderated,
        (rest of my question deleted)

|Hmmm. Sound like you are going to have to do some debugging on this one.  In
|the NEWS_BUILD directory there should be a NEWSDBG.EXE executable that is
|linked with /DEBUG.  Signon to an account which has SYSPRV but not the NWSMGR
|id, and run this image using the RUN command.  At the DEBUG prompt type:
|
|DEBUG> set break PARSE_NEWSGROUPS  ! must be in UPPER CASE
|DEBUG> go
|
|and then try to post an item.  For some reason one parse_newsgroups thinks
|that none of the newsgroups given is valid.  You will have to trace through
|the code to see why. Sorry I can't be of more help, but I can't recreate the
|problem here, and I don't have V5.6 source.  You should probably update to
|V5.8 as soon as you can.

I never tried to use the DEBUG option, cause we upgraded soon after to
ANU-NEWS V5.8. Perhaps that's the best you can do. I don't know of a fix for
this problem.

        Wish you luck.

                       Rolf Sonneveld

PTT Research Neher Laboratories,
P.o. box 421,
2260 AK Leidschendam,
The Ne(t)herlands

EARN/BITnet     : ICP@HLSDNL5.BITNET
UUCP            : hp4nl!dnlunx!rolf
INTERnet        : ICP%HLSDNL5.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
PSS (DATAnet1)  : +204 1170358::ICP

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (09/29/89)

In article <40@manse.cad.cs.man.ac.uk>, newsmgr@manse.cad.cs.man.ac.uk writes:
> We're running v5.6 of anu news.
> Whenever anyone without the news_mgr_id attempts to posn news,
> the error message
> Error: Post - No Authorized Newsgroups specified
> appears.
> I believe a fix for this was posted - does anyone still know of it?

I have looked through my archives, and couldn't find a fix for this problem,
although I did find that the problem was reported by another user.  I think he
solved the problem by upgrading to V5.8.  I would strongly urge you to upgrade
to V5.8 or 5.9 as soon as you can.  If you can't get the sources anywhere over
there, let me know and perhaps we can arrange for me to mail them to you.  I
suspect that will be less painful than debugging the current problem you are
having. :-)
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444