[news.software.anu-news] suggested feature

tp@mccall.uucp (Terry Poot) (10/12/89)

Suggested change to ANU news:

On the KILL command, rather than just being able to say kill/subject, allow
KILL/SUBJECT="text", where any message containing "text" anywhere in the
subject line will be killed. I want to do KILL/SUBJECT="AQUARIA" in news.groups
VERY badly!
--
Terry Poot (800)255-2762, in Kansas (913)776-3683
The McCall Pattern Company, 615 McCall Rd., Manhattan, KS 66502, USA

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/14/89)

In article <406@mccall.uucp>, tp@mccall.uucp (Terry Poot) writes:
> Suggested change to ANU news:
>
> On the KILL command, rather than just being able to say kill/subject, allow
> KILL/SUBJECT="text", where any message containing "text" anywhere in the
> subject line will be killed. I want to do KILL/SUBJECT="AQUARIA" in news.groups
> VERY badly!

I agree.  It would be nice to have wildcards in the "text" part.  It would
also be nice to have UNMARK/SUBJECT="text".
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) (10/16/89)

In article <406@mccall.uucp>, tp@mccall.uucp (Terry Poot) writes:
> Suggested change to ANU news:
>
> On the KILL command, rather than just being able to say kill/subject, allow
> KILL/SUBJECT="text", where any message containing "text" anywhere in the
> subject line will be killed. I want to do KILL/SUBJECT="AQUARIA" in news.groups
> VERY badly!

I agree.  There is a "manual" way to do this.  Find a message in the
appropriate newsgroup with the offending word.  Do a KILL/SUBJECT on the item.
Exit NEWS.  Edit your NEWSRC. file, find the appropriate entry (it should be at
the bottom of the file), and remove the unwanted text, and put stars (*) to
either side of the text.  For example,

		comp.sys.ibm.pc S:*windows*

kills any item in comp.sys.ibm.pc with a subject which includes the word
windows.

It would be nice if there were an automatic way to do this.

BTW has anyone had problems doing a KILL/FROM?  I seem to have an
"intermittent" problem which raises its ugly head if I have a large number of
items in my kill file.  It is, as I recall, an access violation and I get some
sort of dump (reminicent of what I get if I really screw things up in one of my
FORTRAN programs).
Bitnet: gomme@uwovax.bitnet   gomme@uwovax.uwo.ca   Internet: gomme@uwo.ca