[news.software.anu-news] Anu-News v5.9 availability

FUCHS%EMBL.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Rainer Fuchs (EMBL)) (09/26/89)

I would like to obtain a copy of the latest ANU-News version 5.9 but
we cannot ftp from our site. Perhaps someone else in Europe could post
me the source codes etc. ?!

Rainer Fuchs, Ph.D.                          | Post:    EMBL Data Library
EARN/Bitnet: fuchs@embl.bitnet               |          Biology Laboratory
Internet: fuchs%embl.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu  |          Meyerhofstr. 1

ben@vmsa.technion.ac.IL (Ben Pashkoff) (10/13/89)

In article <ANU-NEWS%89092602480764@NDSUVM1>, FUCHS%EMBL.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
(Rainer Fuchs (EMBL)) writes:
> I would like to obtain a copy of the latest ANU-News version 5.9 but
> we cannot ftp from our site. Perhaps someone else in Europe could post
> me the source codes etc. ?!
I have the same problem, if someone would send me an address, I would even
ship a tape! Afterwards I am willing to send tapes through Europe as
necessary.

|      Ben Pashkoff                 BEN@VMSA.TECHNION.AC.IL            |
|                                   BEN@TECHMAX.BITNET                 |
|                                   BEN@TECHUNIX.BITNET                |
|      VAX/VMS Systems                                                 |
|      Computer Center                                                 |
|      Technion IIT                 Phone:(972)-4-292176               |
|      Haifa, Israel 32000          FAX: (972)-4-221581                |

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/14/89)

In article <318@vmsa.technion.ac.il>, ben@vmsa.technion.ac.IL (Ben Pashkoff) writes:
> In article <ANU-NEWS%89092602480764@NDSUVM1>, FUCHS%EMBL.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
> (Rainer Fuchs (EMBL)) writes:
>> I would like to obtain a copy of the latest ANU-News version 5.9 but
>> we cannot ftp from our site. Perhaps someone else in Europe could post
>> me the source codes etc. ?!
> I have the same problem, if someone would send me an address, I would even
> ship a tape! Afterwards I am willing to send tapes through Europe as
> necessary.

There are several methods we could use to get V5.9 to those who don't have ftp
access.  I would be happy to make a VMS SHARE file of the source and mail it
out.  WARNING: It will be about 40-50 parts.  I can also create a MFTU file of
the Backup save set and mail that.  I have a program that will re-assemble the
parts (73 of them if I remember correctly).  You will need MFTU (which I can
send you) and my program to put things back together.  I have done this in the
past and it seems to work reasonably well.  If I ever get some free time I am
going to contact the postmaster at uunet and see if they will update their
version to V5.9 (they currently have V5.4 available).  That should take care
of the uucp only sites.

You can also send me a 9 track tape, along with enough US postage to return it
to you.  I have never actually mailed a package internationally, so I don't
know what problems there might be with customs, etc.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/17/89)

In article <ANU-NEWS%89101708573420@NDSUVM1>,
 Eckart Meyer <I7100501@DBSTU1.BITNET> writes:
> Why couldn't ANU News simply be available through one of the
> BITNET Servers???????

One problem with this is the size of the ANU News distribution.  Just the
source files for Version 5.9 are about 2000 blocks, or about a megabyte. Since
the maximum size file allow for transfer via BITNET is 300K, the posting would
have to be split into parts.  In fact, many mailers refuse to send things
larger than 50K or 100K.  If you split the V5.9 source up into enough parts
that you can be reasonably sure that it will make it past all these mailers,
you end up with 24 parts, just for the source.  The documentation would take
about the same number.  I intend to put up a mail server here at KU sometime
in the near future, and I will probably make ANU News available, but I don't
think I will get many takers.  Most of the people I talk to would rather send
me a tape than deal with the multiple part mail messages.

Another problem with the mailserver concept is related to how the uucp network
is implemented.  It is basically a "store and forward" mailing system that
uses public telephone lines for its transmission medium.  Now the phone
company is unreasonable, and generaly wants money for using its lines. Sending
ANU News V5.9 sources to a uucp site would mean that several sites along the
way would have to pay for about a megabyte of phone time as they passed the
message along.  At least when I send something by hand I can route it to save
as much money as possible.  I doubt that an automatic mailer could do as well.

You seem to be assuming that putting News on a server would mean that no one
would have to do anything to get it distributed.  Unfortunatly, that is not
the case.  Kuhub is a fairly well connected machine, being on both the
internet and BITNET, but about 10% of my mail bounces for one reason or
another. This means that the maintainer of the mail server would have to watch
for bounce messages for the server and process them by hand.  Given the
relatively few requests for distributing ANU News via mail, it seems easier to
do as I have been doing and just sending it out when someone requests it.
--

I7100501@DBSTU1.BITNET (Eckart Meyer) (10/18/89)

Why couldn't ANU News simply be available through one of the
BITNET Servers???????

There are LOT'S of servers around the world (not only BITNET) accessible
through simple MAIL requests (sending a Mail containing a "file request").

The advantage for you maintainers (thousand thanks to Geoff Huston!!)
is that you only have to put into that archive.

I really wonder why this has not be done until now...

-- Eckart

Eckart Meyer                                     Address:   Schleinitzstr. 23
Inst. f. Nachrichtentechnik                                 3300 Braunschweig
Technical University of Braunschweig                             West Germany
                                                 Phone:      +49 531 391 2454
BITNET:   I7100501@DBSTU1
Internet: I7100501%DBSTU1.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU