[news.software.anu-news] problem steping through the dir menu on high volume newsgroups

RIDOUT@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil (Brian Ridout AFWL/SCEV (av) 244-1654 (505) 844-1654) (10/17/89)

Hi all,
	I have been running ANU-NEWS V5.8A for a while now and have
been having a problem ever since I got a news feed.  whenever the
number of news items in a group get over some number it is difficult
to read the items. Example for the case today:

The display says there are 871 items in the newsgroup (#2262 - #3169).
notice anything wrong yet? ;-) I can step through the directory menu
just fine up to item 3132.  When I try to step down to item 3133 (the
871'st item) the display gets messed up it goes back to item 2302 with
all the information in the wrong columns. steping up six items brings
the display back to normal.  Therefore I cannot get past item 3132.
If I run skim to lower the number of Items (I don't know what the
maximum number of items is) it is ok.

Has anyone had this problem?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Brian
*  Brian Ridout                     Internet: ridout@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil    *
*  wl/scev                                                                 *
*  Kirtland AFB NM 87117            "Sorry I have nothing funny to say"    *

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/18/89)

In article <2255@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil>, RIDOUT@ddnvx1.afwl.af.mil
 (Brian Ridout AFWL/SCEV (av) 244-1654 (505) 844-1654) writes:
> Hi all,
> 	I have been running ANU-NEWS V5.8A for a while now and have
> been having a problem ever since I got a news feed.  whenever the
> number of news items in a group get over some number it is difficult
> to read the items.

If I had to guess, I would guess that you are running VMS 4.7 or earlier.
There is a restriction in SMG of no more than 64000 characters on a virtual
screen.  Having more than about 850 articles in a group exceeds this limit.
Back when we were on VMS 4.7, I played with the /ITEMHOLD value for each
group, and expired them so that they didn't exceed about 750 articles. Most of
my group have /ITEM=21, but a few are 14 or even 10 to keep the total number
of articles under 750. Or you could upgrade to VMS 5.x, which fixed the SMG
problem.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444