[news.software.anu-news] "requestable" control messages and ANU-NEWS enhancement?

brodie@fps.mcw.edu (10/18/89)

I found out by CHANCE that my news system had sent out a reply to
a recent "version" request from uunet.

I think that "requestable" control messages (uuname, version, sendsys)
should be additionally handled by the following:

1) MAIL a copy of the request to USENET.   This is done with "newgroup",
   "rmgroup", and (optionally) "cancel" messages.   Why not the others?

2) NEWS_EXECUTE_CONTROL logical should also apply to these requests.

I *really* would like to see item number 1) above implemented, and I
doubt it's real tough (Geoff?).  Number 2 is questionable.
The way "version/sendsys/etc" are done now, is by a one-line log
entry in RNEWS_xxxxx.LOG.  I don't know about the rest of you, but
I don't check these logs on a daily basis, only when I suspect there
is a problem.

Any comments, anyone?
Kent C. Brodie - Systems Manager		brodie@mcw.edu
Medical College of Wisconsin			+1 414 778 4500

"Gee, I hope these are the right coordinates..."  -Chief O'Brian; STTNG

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/19/89)

In article <3209.253b4e14@fps.mcw.edu>, brodie@fps.mcw.edu writes:
> I found out by CHANCE that my news system had sent out a reply to
> a recent "version" request from uunet.
>
> I think that "requestable" control messages (uuname, version, sendsys)
> should be additionally handled by the following:
>
> 1) MAIL a copy of the request to USENET.   This is done with "newgroup",
>    "rmgroup", and (optionally) "cancel" messages.   Why not the others?

I suppose this is reasonable.  Personally, I am registered to read the control
group, so I see all this stuff anyway.  If it is REALLY important that you see
all the version and sendsys messages, just subscribe to control.  I use a kill
filter to skip over cancel messages.  It seems harmless enough to send out the
version number of the software without manual intervention.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (10/20/89)

>In article <3209.253b4e14@fps.mcw.edu>, brodie@fps.mcw.edu writes:
>> I found out by CHANCE that my news system had sent out a reply to
>> a recent "version" request from uunet.
>>
>> I think that "requestable" control messages (uuname, version, sendsys)
>> should be additionally handled by the following:
>>
>> 1) MAIL a copy of the request to USENET.   This is done with "newgroup",
>>    "rmgroup", and (optionally) "cancel" messages.   Why not the others?
>
>I suppose this is reasonable.  Personally, I am registered to read the control
>group, so I see all this stuff anyway.  If it is REALLY important that you see
>all the version and sendsys messages, just subscribe to control.  I use a kill
>filter to skip over cancel messages.  It seems harmless enough to send out the
>version number of the software without manual intervention.

I've got to agree with BOb on this one - the uuname response from VMS is a null
response - the version and sendsys responses are also automatic with the
relevant information.

I must admit that my view is that the provision of this information is a
component of being a member of USENET, and that an automatic response is far
more painless than sending yet another mail item to the local system manager to
forward.... but like anything else in software these code decisions of mine are
not cast in stone.... You can modify the posting code in NEWSADD.C to post the
mail to the local senet address rather than the original poster in your version
of NEWS... I would need a fair deal of response to change this default action
in the distributed code as I'm sure that the majority of sys managers would
find the automatic handling of these control postings a positive rather than a
negative aspect of NEWS.

Geoff Huston