[news.software.anu-news] forwarding news items to users?

brodie@fps.mcw.edu (10/17/89)

NEWS_POST.CC is a nifty file for mailing LOCALLY posted items to users.
Does anyone know of a way to forward ANY posted items to users?
(i.e., a news message comes in from the net, which I want forwarded.)

any ideas?
(is there some capability of anu-news I am overlooking?)
Kent C. Brodie - Systems Manager		brodie@mcw.edu
Medical College of Wisconsin			+1 414 778 4500

"Gee, I hope these are the right coordinates..."  -Chief O'Brian; STTNG

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/18/89)

In article <3207.253b118a@fps.mcw.edu>, brodie@fps.mcw.edu writes:
> NEWS_POST.CC is a nifty file for mailing LOCALLY posted items to users.
> Does anyone know of a way to forward ANY posted items to users?
> (i.e., a news message comes in from the net, which I want forwarded.)
>
> any ideas?
> (is there some capability of anu-news I am overlooking?)

You probably won't like this, but I suspect what you want could be done.
First, set up a dummy line in you news.sys file like:

mailer:world,na,usa,group.to.mail:B:news_manager_dev:[MAIL_group]NEWS.BATCH

Then write a program that mails the articles to the appropiate users. If it is
important to have the return addresses correct, use decnet, and forge the from
address.  This is pretty much what I did for the mailing list gateway that I
posted recently, except I used BITNET to deliver the mail instead of DECNET.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (10/20/89)

>In article <3207.253b118a@fps.mcw.edu>, brodie@fps.mcw.edu writes:
>> NEWS_POST.CC is a nifty file for mailing LOCALLY posted items to users.
>> Does anyone know of a way to forward ANY posted items to users?
>> (i.e., a news message comes in from the net, which I want forwarded.)
>>
>> any ideas?
>> (is there some capability of anu-news I am overlooking?)
>
>You probably won't like this, but I suspect what you want could be done.
>First, set up a dummy line in you news.sys file like:
>
>mailer:world,na,usa,group.to.mail:B:news_manager_dev:[MAIL_group]NEWS.BATCH
>
>Then write a program that mails the articles to the appropiate users. If it is
>important to have the return addresses correct, use decnet, and forge the from
>address.  This is pretty much what I did for the mailing list gateway that I
>posted recently, except I used BITNET to deliver the mail instead of DECNET.

It's not really a back door method - its about the only way to make it happen -
thats what the NEWS.SYS file is all about - i.e. items entered into newsgroups
which match a NEWS.SYS entry are to be placed in a spool area as specified by
that entry for later processing by a distribution mechanism.. so the olution
posted is perhaps the best way of setting this up

Geoff Huston

brodie@fps.mcw.edu (10/20/89)

In article <8910191336.AA11350@uunet.uu.net>, munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) writes:
>>First, set up a dummy line in you news.sys file like:
>>
>>mailer:world,na,usa,group.to.mail:B:news_manager_dev:[MAIL_group]NEWS.BATCH
>>
>>Then write a program that mails the articles to the appropiate users. If it is
>>important to have the return addresses correct, use decnet, and forge the from
>>address.  This is pretty much what I did for the mailing list gateway that I
>>posted recently, except I used BITNET to deliver the mail instead of DECNET.
>
> It's not really a back door method - its about the only way to make it happen -
> thats what the NEWS.SYS file is all about - i.e. items entered into newsgroups
> which match a NEWS.SYS entry are to be placed in a spool area as specified by
> that entry for later processing by a distribution mechanism.. so the olution
> posted is perhaps the best way of setting this up
>
> Geoff Huston

thanks for the responses.  In the meantime, I figured out a REAL nifty
method.   The "transport" mechanism doesn't have to be fidged at all!
If you are running DECUS UUCP (vmsnet), then all you need to do is
the following:

1) do the above steps to get the news batches in separate files.
2) then, for each file, do
MAIL/PROTOCOL=UUCP_MAILSHR file.name "address of recipient"

...which not only takes care of the subject line, but also puts inthe correct
"from:" address!    kinda neat.