[news.software.anu-news] Suggestions DIR/NEW/REG and SHO/PRIO

CROBW@acad.cut.oz (Rob Wright, Curtin University, VMS Systems Group) (10/17/89)

Two suggestions for improvement (IMHO) ...

(1) One can type DIRECTORY/NEW or DIRECTORY/SINCE and get a nice display of
    newsgroups which have had items added since the appropriate date.
    This display _includes_ any newsgroups for which the user is _registered_.
    So why not allow the construct DIRECTORY/NEW/REGISTERED to mean "display
    the _registered_ subset of these 'new' newsgroups" ?

(2) The ability to assign priority to a newsgroup while registering is very
    useful, but one soon finds that one has forgotten the relative priorities
    of many registered groups. Please add SHOW PRIORITY or SHOW/PRIORITY to
    complement REGISTER/PRIORITY.

Rob Wright               psi%050529452300030::CROBW
Curtin University        CROBW%acad.curtin.edu.au@uunet.uu.net
Perth, Western Australia CROBW%acad.curtin.edu.au%munnari.oz@cunyvm.bitnet
Voice:+61 9 351 7385	 munnari!acad.curtin.edu.au!CROBW@uk.ac.ukc
FAX:     09-351-2673     {backbones}!munnari!acad.curtin.edu.au!CROBW

tp@mccall.uucp (Terry Poot) (10/19/89)

In article <1114@acad.cut.oz>, CROBW@acad.cut.oz (Rob Wright, Curtin University, VMS Systems Group) writes:
> (2) The ability to assign priority to a newsgroup while registering is very
>     useful, but one soon finds that one has forgotten the relative priorities
>     of many registered groups. Please add SHOW PRIORITY or SHOW/PRIORITY to
>     complement REGISTER/PRIORITY.

Better yet, have dir/reg and dir/new display the groups in order of
decreasing priority, rather than alphabetical, and also list the priority
on the dir display. This would greatly simplify managing priorities and
stepping through newsgroups selectively.

--
Terry Poot (800)255-2762, in Kansas (913)776-3683
The McCall Pattern Company, 615 McCall Rd., Manhattan, KS 66502, USA

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (10/23/89)

>> (2) The ability to assign priority to a newsgroup while registering is very
>>     useful, but one soon finds that one has forgotten the relative priorities
>>     of many registered groups. Please add SHOW PRIORITY or SHOW/PRIORITY to
>>     complement REGISTER/PRIORITY.
>
>Better yet, have dir/reg and dir/new display the groups in order of
>decreasing priority, rather than alphabetical, and also list the priority
>on the dir display. This would greatly simplify managing priorities and
>stepping through newsgroups selectively.

I'll throw this one back at the readership - It is a reasonable idea and is
easily implemented - anyone willing to generate the code?

Geoff