[news.software.anu-news] Argh! Posting problems!

reggers@UWOVAX.UWO.CA (Reg Quinton) (07/11/89)

On Fri, 30 Jun 89 15:17:00 CDT, Bob Sloane <SLOANE@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU> said:
>If someone tries to post and article while the COLLECT.IDS file is busy, NEWS
>will be unable to open the file, and the ID will not get appended. Of course,
>this is not what is happening in the above case, but it is certainly a
>problem. Anyone have any ideas about how to fix it?

I've worked around   this problem (fopen(file,"a")  fails  because file  is
busy) in similar circumstances by either/both of these strategies:

        a) if busy then sleep a bit and try again.
        b) if busy then fopen(file,"w") and let file versions stack up.

the real rub is determining why the open failed... but assuming any failure
is a busy failure is adequate if you've set things up reasonably.

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (10/26/89)

It seems to be an evening of locating and addressing old ANU NEWS mail!!

Date:         Tue, 11 Jul 89 11:23:22 edt
From: Reg Quinton <reggers%UWOVAX.UWO.CA%VM1.NoDak.EDU@murtoa.cs.mu.oz>
Subject:      RE: Argh! Posting problems!

>I've worked around   this problem (fopen(file,"a")  fails  because file  is
>busy) in similar circumstances by either/both of these strategies:
>
>        a) if busy then sleep a bit and try again.
>        b) if busy then fopen(file,"w") and let file versions stack up.
>
>the real rub is determining why the open failed... but assuming any failure
>is a busy failure is adequate if you've set things up reasonably.

I have taken this approach and modified NEWSDIST.C accordingly. Again these
patches will be in the V5.9B release

Geoff