[news.software.anu-news] "Problem with kill filters and read-only newsgroups"

sloetjes@PHILTIS.CFT.PHILIPS.NL (Dick Sloetjes) (07/12/89)

Geoff,

At our site we have many newsgroups which are READ only for most
users. One of our users had discovered the following problem. "He
isn't able to define a kill filter for such a (READ only)
newsgroup". At this moment I have debuged NEWS and saw that in
do_kill() parse_newsgroups() is called.

In parse_newsgroups() the routine auth_list() deletes the
newsgroup names in which the user may not post. So he isn't able
to define a kill filter either.

My question: Is it possible to fix this bug in 58B and/or future
releases?

Dick Sloetjes, Philips Medical Systems Nederland B.V. Dept. SWE-CF
Building QA-II  /  PO Box 10000 / 5680 DA  Best /  The Netherlands
Email: sloetjes@philtis.cft.philips.nl        Voice: +31 40 762305

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (10/26/89)

Another bug report which has (finally) been acted on:...

Date:         Wed, 12 Jul 89 11:13:38 -0100
From: Dick Sloetjes
 <sloetjes%PHILTIS.CFT.PHILIPS.NL%VM1.NoDak.EDU@murtoa.cs.mu.oz>
Subject:      "Problem with kill filters and read-only newsgroups"

>At our site we have many newsgroups which are READ only for most
>users. One of our users had discovered the following problem. "He
>isn't able to define a kill filter for such a (READ only)
>newsgroup". At this moment I have debuged NEWS and saw that in
>do_kill() parse_newsgroups() is called.
>
>In parse_newsgroups() the routine auth_list() deletes the
>newsgroup names in which the user may not post. So he isn't able
>to define a kill filter either.
>
>My question: Is it possible to fix this bug in 58B and/or future
>releases?

Yes- this will be fixed in the 5.9B release - thanks for the work in tracking
down the problem - it has made it far easier to make the necessary changes.

Geoff