[news.software.anu-news] Is it possible to specify "local" distribution?

SDROPPERS@pbs.uucp (Seton R. Droppers) (10/14/89)

Is it possible, via the distribution header line, to limit news to a local site
(say my site, for example?  I know that I can set up a localy defined
newsgroups and I assume that does not get sent outside of my site, no matter
what (is that true?), what I want to do is limit distribution of a particular
message in a network distributed newsgroup (control, just for kicks) to my site
only.

The second part of the question, I suppose, is is it possible to send control
messages (version, sendsys) to my neighbors only?
--
Seton Droppers  -- "Anything that I say is my opinion and not my employer's."
Public Broadcasting Service, 1320 Braddock Pl. Alexandria, VA 22314

fritz@unocss.UUCP (Tim Russell) (10/15/89)

SDROPPERS@pbs.uucp (Seton R. Droppers) writes:

|Is it possible, via the distribution header line, to limit news to a local site
|(say my site, for example?  I know that I can set up a localy defined
|newsgroups and I assume that does not get sent outside of my site, no matter
|what (is that true?), what I want to do is limit distribution of a particular
|message in a network distributed newsgroup (control, just for kicks) to my site
|only.

   Um, unless I'm missing something, I'd say you already have the answer -
just use the "local" distribution in your post by using POST/HEADER, and
make sure in your NEWS.SYS file that "local" isn't listed in the acceptable
distributions for sending to any other nodes.  Thus, the post will remain
local because noone gets the "local" distribution sent to them.

|The second part of the question, I suppose, is is it possible to send control
|messages (version, sendsys) to my neighbors only?

   Sure!  Same thing - create your own distribution name, say "foo", and then
make sure that each node passes "foo" to its neighbors, but NOT to your out-
side UUCP feed(s).

--
Tim Russell   Univ. Of Nebr. at Omaha   russell@{zeus.unl.edu | unoma1.bitnet}
"I'm against any law that I wouldn't break if I could get away with it."

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/15/89)

In article <3362@pbs.uucp>, SDROPPERS@pbs.uucp (Seton R. Droppers) writes:
> Is it possible, via the distribution header line, to limit news to a local site
> (say my site, for example?

Yes, assuming your NEWS.SYS file is set up correctly, you should be able to
put a Distribution: local header in the article and have it only go to the
local machine.

> The second part of the question, I suppose, is is it possible to send control
> messages (version, sendsys) to my neighbors only?

I do this by have a to.<system> group for each of my news neighbors.  The
NEWS.SYS file will restrict distribution of this message to just my site and
the target site, assuming everything is set up correctly.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (10/16/89)

>|Is it possible, via the distribution header line, to limit news to a local
 site
>|(say my site, for example?  I know that I can set up a localy defined
>|newsgroups and I assume that does not get sent outside of my site, no matter
>|what (is that true?), what I want to do is limit distribution of a particular
>|message in a network distributed newsgroup (control, just for kicks) to my
 site
>|only.
>
>   Um, unless I'm missing something, I'd say you already have the answer -
>just use the "local" distribution in your post by using POST/HEADER, and
>make sure in your NEWS.SYS file that "local" isn't listed in the acceptable
>distributions for sending to any other nodes.  Thus, the post will remain
>local because noone gets the "local" distribution sent to them.

You can automate this somewhat - the following is
	NEWS_MANAGER:NEWS_POST.DEFAULTS

which contains the necessary notes to set it up

Geoff Huston

# NEWS_MANAGER:NEWS_POST.DEFAULTS
#
# This file is used to supply default values for headers for local postings.
# The format of the file is:
#
#  newsgroup name - starting in column 1
#   the name may be either an exact name, a name with wildcard character (*)
#   or the name "default" (which matches all newsgroups).
#   Lists of newsgroup names are NOT supported - if you wish to define
#   two or more newsgroups with the same values then use wildcards if the
#   newsgroup names are related, or use separate entries for each newsgroup
#
#  The lines following a newsgroup must start with a space or a tab in col 1
#   and they refer to headers for that newsgroup.
#
# NEWS will search for the first successful match for a newsgroup, then apply
# the headers as given. Therefore "default", if used, must be at the end of
# the file.
#
# NEWS V5.7 supports only two default headers:

gih900@csc.anu.oz (Geoff Huston) (10/27/89)

In article <3362@pbs.uucp>, SDROPPERS@pbs.uucp (Seton R. Droppers) writes:
> Is it possible, via the distribution header line, to limit news to a local site
> (say my site, for example?  I know that I can set up a localy defined
> newsgroups and I assume that does not get sent outside of my site, no matter
> what (is that true?), what I want to do is limit distribution of a particular
> message in a network distributed newsgroup (control, just for kicks) to my site
> only.

The NEWS.SYS file should accept the distribution "local" in only the local
node's entry. Thus specifying a distribution pf "local" (using POST.HEADER) is
intended to be the way to do this.

> The second part of the question, I suppose, is is it possible to send control
> messages (version, sendsys) to my neighbors only?

Again this depends on you and your neighbours all agreeing to acceept a
distribution keyword which is accepted in common. I.e. "site", "org" or
something similar.

Geoff Huston