[news.software.anu-news] News 5.8A patches/updates?? Help!

MRT@oregon.uoregon.edu (Michelle R. Thibault) (10/25/89)

Hi all!!

  I've recently installed News v5.8A here and I seem to be having some
problems.  First of all, the nntp server is *very* slow and there seem
to be some posting problems.  Have I missed some patches somewhere along
the line?  I have a whole series of messages from Geoff that claim to be
patches (in SLP format) for 5.8A, but either I don't know what I'm doing
(never used EDIT/SUM before) ;-), or I'm attempting to apply these to
the wrong versions of the files -- if, indeed, these patches should be
applied at all.  Can anyone who has a working version of 5.8A (or B, if
one ever came out), explain to me if there were patches that I'm missing
or what I'm doing wrong?

  BTW, I ftp'd 5.8 from kuhub along with the update procedure and ran
all that, so what I need to know is if there are patches that were
supposed to be applied after that, and if so, which ones and are they
the ones I have or do I have to find them somewhere else??

  Also, I don't know if this is a fixed problem or not, but we're
getting a lot of NNTP_*_1.tmp files created in our news_manager
directory.  Anybody have an idea about these and why they aren't going
away?  Is this just another part of our posting problems?

  Thanks in advance for any assistance!!!

Michelle

Michelle R. Thibault, Network Engineer (& grad student ;->)    (503)686-4394
Univ. of Oregon, Computing Center          mrt@oregon.uoregon.edu - INTERNET
Eugene, Oregon 97403                                     mrt@oregon - BITNET

gih900@csc.anu.oz (Geoff Huston) (10/27/89)

In article <9589@oregon.uoregon.edu>, MRT@oregon.uoregon.edu (Michelle R. Thibault) writes:
>   I've recently installed News v5.8A here and I seem to be having some
> problems.  First of all, the nntp server is *very* slow and there seem
> to be some posting problems.  Have I missed some patches somewhere along
> the line?  I have a whole series of messages from Geoff that claim to be
> patches (in SLP format) for 5.8A, but either I don't know what I'm doing
> (never used EDIT/SUM before) ;-), or I'm attempting to apply these to
> the wrong versions of the files -- if, indeed, these patches should be
> applied at all.  Can anyone who has a working version of 5.8A (or B, if
> one ever came out), explain to me if there were patches that I'm missing
> or what I'm doing wrong?
>
>   BTW, I ftp'd 5.8 from kuhub along with the update procedure and ran
> all that, so what I need to know is if there are patches that were
> supposed to be applied after that, and if so, which ones and are they
> the ones I have or do I have to find them somewhere else??
>
>   Also, I don't know if this is a fixed problem or not, but we're
> getting a lot of NNTP_*_1.tmp files created in our news_manager
> directory.  Anybody have an idea about these and why they aren't going
> away?  Is this just another part of our posting problems?

The answer to most of this posting is to move to 5.9A. I have cleaned up the
NNTP work, and fixed a large set of 5.8 bugs. 5.9 sources are availabel from
kuhub and the 5.9A patches are also there as I understand.

Geoff Huston