[news.software.anu-news] /CREGRP creating groups via cross-posting

SRWHMAS@windy.dsir.govt.nz (Mark Stephens) (10/13/89)

Hi. I've only just started reading this group, so forgive me if this
question has been asked before.

NEWS comes into our site via mail in batch, and is added using the
/CREGRP qualifier. This doesn't seem to stop news from creating
groups from cross-posted articles, even if the groups in question
are not in NEWS.SYS. eg we don't want ALT.* groups (ie these are not
listed in the NEWS.SYS file, but we still get alt groups created.
Is there a way to stop this? Have I got something set up wrong?

Thanks,
-------------------
Mark Stephens                   "We crashed a thousand yards below...
Programmer and other things      I said 'do it again! do it again!' "
DSIR/DIT, Wellington, NZ.           - the Man Who Sold the World
"genie@windy.dsir.govt.nz"

gih900@csc.anu.oz (Geoff Huston) (10/26/89)

In article <718@windy.dsir.govt.nz>, SRWHMAS@windy.dsir.govt.nz (Mark Stephens) writes:
> NEWS comes into our site via mail in batch, and is added using the
> /CREGRP qualifier. This doesn't seem to stop news from creating
> groups from cross-posted articles, even if the groups in question
> are not in NEWS.SYS. eg we don't want ALT.* groups (ie these are not
> listed in the NEWS.SYS file, but we still get alt groups created.
> Is there a way to stop this? Have I got something set up wrong?

/CREGRP is not that smart - every newsgroup in all incoming headers is created
on the local system. In general /CREGRP is not a good idea. To establish what
newsgroups are valid for your area you need to get fed an incoming "Control:
checkgroups" posting which will correctly set up your network newsgroups.

Geoff Huston

GLASSMANN@ccavax.camb.com (Lenny Glassmann) (10/28/89)

In article <866.2546feff@csc.anu.oz>, gih900@csc.anu.oz (Geoff Huston) writes:
> In article <718@windy.dsir.govt.nz>, SRWHMAS@windy.dsir.govt.nz (Mark Stephens) writes:
>> NEWS comes into our site via mail in batch, and is added using the
>> /CREGRP qualifier. This doesn't seem to stop news from creating
>> groups from cross-posted articles, even if the groups in question
>> are not in NEWS.SYS. eg we don't want ALT.* groups (ie these are not
>> listed in the NEWS.SYS file, but we still get alt groups created.
>> Is there a way to stop this? Have I got something set up wrong?
>
> /CREGRP is not that smart - every newsgroup in all incoming headers is created
> on the local system. In general /CREGRP is not a good idea. To establish what
> newsgroups are valid for your area you need to get fed an incoming "Control:
> checkgroups" posting which will correctly set up your network newsgroups.

The way I see it, this is not just a problem with CREGRP.  We have the ALT
groups in NEWS.GROUPS because they were in a checkgroups message that I applied
once.  I have since removed ALT from NEWS.SYS because we don't get
these groups from our feed.  However, crossposted items are still added to ALT,
where nobody reads them, since we know we don't get the full feed.  The problem
is the (not insignificant) waste of disk space.