[news.software.anu-news] "requestable" control messages

brodie@fps.mcw.edu (10/20/89)

In article <8910191344.AA12187@uunet.uu.net>, munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) writes:

> I've got to agree with BOb on this one - the uuname response from VMS is a null
> response - the version and sendsys responses are also automatic with the
> relevant information.
>
> I must admit that my view is that the provision of this information is a
> component of being a member of USENET, and that an automatic response is far
> more painless than sending yet another mail item to the local system manager to
> forward.... but like anything else in software these code decisions of mine are
> not cast in stone.... You can modify the posting code in NEWSADD.C to post the
> mail to the local senet address rather than the original poster in your version
> of NEWS... I would need a fair deal of response to change this default action
> in the distributed code as I'm sure that the majority of sys managers would
> find the automatic handling of these control postings a positive rather than a
> negative aspect of NEWS.
>
> Geoff Huston

ok, i guess I do agree with those points.   But how about letting the system
manager (news manager) KNOW that a reply was indeed sent?   Other news systems
do this-

"Copy of NEWS.SYS file sent to brodie@fps.mcw.edu in reply to sendsys"

...or something of that nature.    I guess that automatic responses to control
messages are great, but how about letting the news manager KNOW about it?
("cancel" messages excluded, of course)
Kent C. Brodie - Systems Manager		brodie@mcw.edu
Medical College of Wisconsin			+1 414 778 4500

"Gee, I hope these are the right coordinates..."  -Chief O'Brian; STTNG

tp@mccall.uucp (11/16/89)

In article <3209.253b4e14@fps.mcw.edu>, brodie@fps.mcw.edu writes:
> I found out by CHANCE that my news system had sent out a reply to
> a recent "version" request from uunet.
>
> I think that "requestable" control messages (uuname, version, sendsys)
> should be additionally handled by the following:
>
> 1) MAIL a copy of the request to USENET.   This is done with "newgroup",
>    "rmgroup", and (optionally) "cancel" messages.   Why not the others?

Agree.

> 2) NEWS_EXECUTE_CONTROL logical should also apply to these requests.

Disagree. I believe the relevant RFC says that your system must reply to
version and sendsys, although I know that uuname is optional. The point is,
why do you consider your news connectivity private? I've made extensive use
of these in trying to establish the vmsnet.* hierarchy. The existance of the
sendsys message is a godsend. I just wish I had a way to selectively send
one to any random system on the net. (I do it by crossposting to to.* groups,
which only works moderately well, if at all, do to the varieties of news
transports, gateways, etc.). I'd like to know when they happen, but the send
should stay automatic.

--
Terry Poot (800)255-2762, in Kansas (913)776-3683
The McCall Pattern Company, 615 McCall Rd., Manhattan, KS 66502, USA