[news.software.anu-news] How to stop items showing only in screenfuls

CHILL@mail.cut.oz (Ian Hill, Programmer/Analyst) (11/15/89)

Some of our users read NEWS items from their Macintoshes. They would like
to be able to use the Macs to scroll through the item, rather than have the
standard one-screen-at-a-time presentation (they have terminal emulators
which capture stacks of text, which can then be locally scrolled back & forth)

I tried setting

SET DISPLAY/SCANSIZE=9999

but I still ended up getting 20-odd lines at a time.

Anyone got any ideas? We are running NEWS v5.8a on VMS 5.0-2

Ian Hill
Curtin University of Technology

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (11/17/89)

In article <1323@mail.cut.oz>, CHILL@mail.cut.oz
 (Ian Hill, Programmer/Analyst) writes:
> Some of our users read NEWS items from their Macintoshes. They would like
> to be able to use the Macs to scroll through the item, rather than have the
> standard one-screen-at-a-time presentation (they have terminal emulators
> which capture stacks of text, which can then be locally scrolled back & forth)
>
> I tried setting
>
> SET DISPLAY/SCANSIZE=9999
>
> but I still ended up getting 20-odd lines at a time.
>
> Anyone got any ideas? We are running NEWS v5.8a on VMS 5.0-2

Try doing:

$ SET TERMINAL/PAGE=255

before going into NEWS.  Sorry, but 255 seems to be the maximum you can set
this to.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444