From: LARRY@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (LARRY MICHALEWICZ...VAX OPERATOR)
Newsgroups: anunews
Subject: help with news
Date: 25 Aug 89 15:23:24 GMT

This may sound like a dumb question to some but here goes...

What is the proper way to put mailed messages into anu
also what is the proper way to send locally posted messages to BITNET
mailinglists.

thanks.....Larry

Larry Michalewicz              BitNet: LARRY@UNTVAX
Vax Programmer/Operator        THENET: NTVAXB::LARRY
Student of computer Science    Inter : LARRY@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
University of North Texas      SPAN  : UTSPAN::UTADNX::NTVAXB::LARRY
Denton, Texas  76203           AT&T  : 1 (817) 565-5578

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (08/29/89)

In article <ANU-NEWS%89082516351616@NDSUVM1>,
 "LARRY MICHALEWICZ...VAX OPERATOR" <LARRY@UNTVAX.BITNET> writes:
> What is the proper way to put mailed messages into anu
> also what is the proper way to send locally posted messages to BITNET
> mailinglists.

The answer to this depends on whether the mailed messages were intended as
news articles to begin with or not.  I assume what you would like to do is
gateway some mailing lists into News.  If this is the case, I have some
software that will pre-process mail to/from a bitnet mailing list. It was
written to handle the ANU-NEWS mailing list/news.software.anu-news group
interface, and seems to be working fairly well so far.  I can post it if
anyone else is interested.

In general, you should use the ADD FILE command to add news articles that were
mailed to you. The program I wrote just filters out unwanted header lines
(like Received:) and adds a Newsgroups: line, and separates the articles with
#!rnews lines.  The output file of the program is then used as the input file
on a News ADD FILE command.  You could just use ADD FILE/DEFNEWSGROUP command
and get much the same results.

Sending articles to mailing lists is a little more complicated.  The problem
is getting the header lines actually intrepreted as headers by the receiving
system.  I solved this problem by "mailing" the articles using the JNET "SEND"
command to send the files directly to the mailer on BITNET.  If you are not on
BITNET or are not using the Joiner Assoc. software, this method won't work for
you. Basically, I set up a dummy system called anu-news using a NEWS.SYS file
entry like:

anu-news:world,na,usa,news.software.anu-news:\
  B:news_manager_dev:[MAIL_ANU-NEWS]NEWS.BATCH^B

That routed all of the articles posted to the newsgroup to a file in RFC1036
batch format.  Then I wrote a program that would read this file and send each
article to the mailing list using the SEND/FILE command from the JNET package.
The program sets up the mail headers so that the original poster of the
article is in the From: and Reply-To: lines. Again, you must have the JNET
package for this to work.

If anyone is interested in a copy of either or both of these programs, let me
know. If there is enough interest, I will post them.
+-------------------+-------------------------------------+------------------+
|  Bob Sloane        \Internet: SLOANE@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU/Anything I said is |
|  Computer Center    \ BITNET: SLOANE@UKANVAX.BITNET   / my opinion, not my |
|  University of Kansas\  AT&T: (913) 864-0444         /  employer's.        |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------+----------------------+

Mats.Sundvall@bmc.uu.se (Mats Sundvall) (08/29/89)

In article <10025@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) writes:
> In article <ANU-NEWS%89082516351616@NDSUVM1>,

> If anyone is interested in a copy of either or both of these programs, let me
> know. If there is enough interest, I will post them.

I am interested in both of them. Please send them.

--
		Mats Sundvall

		Biomedical Center		+46/18174583
		University of Uppsala		Mats.Sundvall@BMC.UU.SE
		Sweden				psi%24020019700620::MATS

fritz@unocss.UUCP (Tim Russell) (08/30/89)

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) writes:
|That routed all of the articles posted to the newsgroup to a file in RFC1036
|batch format.  Then I wrote a program that would read this file and send each
|article to the mailing list using the SEND/FILE command from the JNET package.
|The program sets up the mail headers so that the original poster of the
|article is in the From: and Reply-To: lines. Again, you must have the JNET
|package for this to work.

   I wish I could get PMDF on my machine so I could write this program using
the PMDF library..  Does anyone have docs for it that they can send me without
violating copyrights?  If we wrote this using PMDF, it would work with any
mailing system that PMDF supports, which would be nice.

--
 Tim Russell, Computer Operator  | Internet: russell@zeus.unl.edu

larry@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (11/21/89)

I'm running anu version 5.9a and I had two questions.

1) First of all, I'm getting a usenet feed from and a Unix machine, using nntp.
   Everything is working fine, except I can't seen to figure out how to get
   local postings back to the unix machine.

2) Our news.items file is >85000 blocks in size.  Can we make it smaller.  I'v
   had no luck with newspack.com

LARRY@UNTVAX.BITNET (LARRY MICHALEWICZ...VAX OPERATOR) (11/22/89)