info-vax@cca.UUCP (10/18/85)

From: stew%lhasa@harvard.ARPA

Very puzzling.  We have a new MicroVax II that we have just hooked
up.  Everything is set up, but when we hooked a terminal to TXA0:
and tried to log in, it gives the SYS$WELCOME message and then
says "User Authorization Failure" without ever prompting for the
Username:.  I can COPY to and from the terminal just fine, and can
SPAWN/INPUT=TXA0:/OUTPUT=TXA0:/NOWAIT from the system console.
Just can't log in.  Enabling logfailure auditing says that there
is no such user as <login>.  Any ideas, anyone?

Thanx
Stew

info-vax@sri-kl (10/23/85)

From: Random <rti-sel!rcb%mcnc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

In article <8510180700.AA03189@UCB-VAX> you write:
>Very puzzling.  We have a new MicroVax II that we have just hooked
>up.  Everything is set up, but when we hooked a terminal to TXA0:
>and tried to log in, it gives the SYS$WELCOME message and then
>says "User Authorization Failure" without ever prompting for the
>Username:.  I can COPY to and from the terminal just fine, and can
>SPAWN/INPUT=TXA0:/OUTPUT=TXA0:/NOWAIT from the system console.
>Just can't log in.  Enabling logfailure auditing says that there
>is no such user as <login>.  Any ideas, anyone?
>
>Thanx
>Stew

Micro vms comes with the automatic login stuff turned on. You must turn these
off. Just delete sysalf.dat (i think that is the correct file name) in
sys$system.

					Random
					Research Triangle Institute
					...!mcnc!rti-sel!rcb