[news.software.anu-news] KILL requests good, but how about ACCEPT requests?

synful@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (Marc Shannon) (11/22/89)

I'm just starting to get into the Usenet mindset and have been playing
with KILL entries in my NEWSRC.  It's very useful for reading comp.lang.pascal
when I don't want to know about Turbo Pascal stuff.

My question is how easy would it be to implement something like the opposite,
sort of an ACCEPT entry which would display text from a particular newsgroup
if it matches in the same fashion.  For example, I'd like to read all the
messages in comp.lang.c which *do* refer to Turbo C (or TC).

--Marc
| Marc Shannon                                 Internet Address (Bitnet name) |
| VAX Systems Programmer               SYNFUL@DRYCAS.CLUB.CC.CMU.EDU (DRYCAS) |
| Carnegie-Mellon University                  R602MS5U@VB.CC.CMU.EDU (CMCCVB) |
| (412) 268-6290              "I mean, really, what could possibly go wrong?" |

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (11/24/89)

>My question is how easy would it be to implement something like the opposite,
>sort of an ACCEPT entry which would display text from a particular newsgroup
>if it matches in the same fashion.  For example, I'd like to read all the
>messages in comp.lang.c which *do* refer to Turbo C (or TC).

I have added READ/Title=string to select the next item which contains the
specified string as a substring in the subject.

You can also use read/new/title=string to only look for unread items in this
way.

A more generalized form of accept doesn't make a lot on sense - kill is a
filter blocking out specific items from a general search for unread items.
The opposite is specifying what you want to read, and the syntax and style of
kill filters is not the bext way of setting this up.

Geoff Huston

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (11/29/89)

In article <8911232150.AA01701@uunet.uu.net>,
 Geoff Huston <munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUNET.UU.NET> writes:
> I have added READ/Title=string to select the next item which contains the
> specified string as a substring in the subject.

Are wildcards allowed in the "string"? How about the ability to search on
other headers besides the subject, for example Keywords: or Summary:?
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444