[news.software.anu-news] Suggested user interface enhancements

jeh@simpact.com (11/21/89)

Some suggestions for future versions / patch levels:

1.  When posting or folowing-up, the "Summary" and "Keywords" headers should be
prompted for by default.

2.  If posting to multiple newsgroups, the "Followup-To" header should be
prompted for, and its default value should be the first newsgroup in the
list.

3.  Line editing (as in SET LINE) should be turned on by default, or perhaps
this could be switched via a logical name.  Better still, it should be
possible to use the SET LINE command in the NEWSINI.NEWS file (as it is now,
only define/key commands can appear in this file).

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (11/21/89)

It would be nice if all the headers could be put into the editor for
the user to edit.  On returning from the editor, News could check the
validity of the headers, and change (for ex) a modified "References:"
line back to what is actually referenced.  For example, right now my
screen (I'm using VNEWS on a Unix box) looks like this: (I've ">"
quoted it)

--------------------start of screen-shot----------------
>Command: followup
>Newsgroups: news.software.anu-news
>To: jeh@simpact.com
>Subject: Re: Suggested user interface enhancements
>
>It would be nice if all the headers could be put into the editor for
>the user to edit.  On returning from the editor, News could check the
>validity of the headers, and change (for ex) a modified "References:"
>line back to what is actually referenced.  For example, right now my
>screen (I'm using VNEWS on a Unix box) looks like this: (I've ">"
>quoted it)
---------------------end of screen-shot-----------------

I can edit the "Command:" line to "reply" if I want to change what I'm
doing.  I can change any of the lines.  This is really nice and it
makes it impossible for me to miss one of the prompts after posting.

Also, I've noticed that I'd quite error-prone to ask questions before
AND after they are in the editor.  It would be quite nice to put all
those questions in the editor, then just ask "Are you sure you want to
post this? [y]?"

(slightly different subject)
While I'm posting, I'd also like to request the ability to have a text
file displayed before the users posts.  I would like to be able to add
something that would give some quick instructions and maybe even
explain how posts cost money.  Sort of like what POSTNEWS on Unix
does, abeit without all the conditionals (print xxx if it's yyy
newsgroup, etc.); thought that would all be very nice.

-Tom
--
Tom Limoncelli    -- limonce@pilot.njin.net        Standard Disclaimer
CM 1060           -- tlimonce@drunivac.bitnet

CROBW@acad.cut.oz (Rob Wright, VMS Systems Group) (11/28/89)

In article <733.2567e8ad@simpact.com>, jeh@simpact.com writes:
> Some suggestions for future versions / patch levels:

> 3.  Line editing (as in SET LINE) should be turned on by default, or perhaps
> this could be switched via a logical name.  Better still, it should be
> possible to use the SET LINE command in the NEWSINI.NEWS file (as it is now,
> only define/key commands can appear in this file).
>
> 	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA

How often have you had a complex command on the screen with the character in
column, say, 3, incorrect? And, line edit is off! In this all too common
situation the desired feature is to have the line edit flip-flop changed by one
out-of-band control character. Naturally, the current status ought to show
somewhere on the screen.
_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Rob Wright               |  psi%050529452300030::CROBW
Curtin University        |  CROBW%acad.curtin.edu.au@uunet.uu.net
Perth, Western Australia |  CROBW%acad.curtin.edu.au%munnari.oz@cunyvm.bitnet
Voice:+61 9 351 7385	 |  munnari!acad.curtin.edu.au!CROBW@uk.ac.ukc
FAX:     09-351-2673     |  {backbones}!munnari!acad.curtin.edu.au!CROBW
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

jeh@simpact.com (11/29/89)

In article <1403@acad.cut.oz>, CROBW@acad.cut.oz
 (Rob Wright, VMS Systems Group) writes:
> How often have you had a complex command on the screen with the character in
> column, say, 3, incorrect? And, line edit is off!

Oddly -- well, it's probably only odd to me because I've never looked closely
at the command line recall stuff -- previous lines are still stored for recall,
even if line editing is off!  So, after entering the bad command, you can
still do SET LINE_EDIT (or whatever your favorite flavor of the command is),
recall the bad line, and edit it.  The only problem is if the bad line is just
too awful to let execute (say, a DELETE command), in which case you can usually
corrupt it by adding a few extr parameters, or something.  (With line editing
on, or at DCL, I just hit backspace and put a ! in front of it, turning it into
a comment, then it return, recall it, and edit it.)

> In this all too common
> situation the desired feature is to have the line edit flip-flop changed by one
> out-of-band control character.

This would probably require an SMG hack.  In any case I see no reason why
line editing shouldn't be on by default.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@simpact.com,	      |	"Marty, we're in a DeLorean, he's in a
 or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com  |	'46 Ford!  He'd rip through us like we
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed}!simpact!jeh  |	were tinfoil!" -- Dr. E. Brown (BTTF 2)