[news.software.anu-news] Getting DECUS UUCP to work with the latest version of News

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (12/02/89)

We have the latest version of ANU NEWS (5.9 something).  We are
getting DECUS UUCP to feed news, but they require an older version,
with THEIR hacks.

Does anyone know if I can add the hacks to our version?  I finally got
the latest version of the VAX CC and with finals coming up I need some
kind of distraction.  I could spend tons of times getting the whole
thing to work (recompiling, etc) and once it works, we're gonna have
600 new newsgroups that I can read.  I *know* I'll be able to drop a
point or two on my GPA :-)

-Tom
--
Tom Limoncelli -- limonce@pilot.njin.net -- tlimonce@drunivac.bitnet
rutgers!njin!tlimonce -- Drew University, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (12/02/89)

In article <Dec.1.17.06.42.1989.23049@pilot.njin.net>, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> We have the latest version of ANU NEWS (5.9 something).  We are
> getting DECUS UUCP to feed news, but they require an older version,
> with THEIR hacks.
>
> Does anyone know if I can add the hacks to our version?

	I started with version 5.7 of NEWS and then went to 5.8a and just got
done with upgrading to 5.9b.  The only thing I had to change was in the
news_address.cnf file when I went to 5.9x because it now uses callable mail.
The line that looks like "gateway%""user@host""" should now be
gateway%"user@host".  I don't think that DECUS UUCP <requires> an older version,
it is just the one they included with the distribution.  Oh yea, when I went
to version 5.8a of NEWS, I had to change some filenames in the newsskim program
because Geoff changed formats and filenames accordingly.  I think it was the
newsgroups file and the newsitems file.  That is in the NEWS 5.8 documentation.
I am also running DECUS UUCP v1.1 if you would like to know.

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (12/03/89)

Update: So far, I've made the mods to the NEWSSKIM and nothing else
and it is mostly working.  I guess the "special version of News" is
really just some of the .COM files?

Can this be verified?

One thing that we can't seem to do, is uncompress the files.  I want
to say "uncompress xxx to yyy".  Isn't that "compress -d....[something]"

Any tips?  I can't seem to find docs for that "compress" program.

Thanks again!
-Tom
--

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (12/03/89)

In article <Dec.2.11.45.19.1989.12178@pilot.njin.net>, limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> One thing that we can't seem to do, is uncompress the files.  I want
> to say "uncompress xxx to yyy".  Isn't that "compress -d....[something]"
>
> Any tips?  I can't seem to find docs for that "compress" program.
>
> Thanks again!
> -Tom

Tom,

	Look in the NEWS_RNEWS.COM command procedure.  I believe the command
is compress -pdzc.  I have done some uncompressing myself.