[news.software.anu-news] HeLp Me PlEaSe!!!!

larry@vaxb.acs.unt.edu (12/02/89)

Can someone please tell my why ANU-NEWS sometimes converts message ids to lower
case?  This first caused me problems when I was useing a UNIX machine as a
server.  The messages with upper case letters in the ids were un readable
because ANU converted the id to lower case and the UNIX machine didn't
recognize the ids because it is case sensitive.

Thanks for your help.......Larry

Larry Michalewicz              BitNet: LARRY@UNTVAX
Vax Programmer/Operator        THENET: NTVAXB::LARRY
Student of computer Science    Inter : LARRY@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
University of North Texas      SPAN  : UTSPAN::UTADNX::NTVAXB::LARRY
Denton, Texas  76203           AT&T  : 1 (817) 565-5578

LARRY@UNTVAX.BITNET (LARRY MICHALEWICZ...VAX OPERATOR) (12/02/89)

From: larry@vaxb.acs.unt.edu
Newsgroups: anunews
Subject: HeLp Me PlEaSe!!!!
Date: 1 Dec 89 22:13:48 GMT

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (12/08/89)

>Can someone please tell my why ANU-NEWS sometimes converts message ids to lower
>case?  This first caused me problems when I was useing a UNIX machine as a
>server.  The messages with upper case letters in the ids were un readable
>because ANU converted the id to lower case and the UNIX machine didn't
>recognize the ids because it is case sensitive.

the conversion happens only in the internal database (news.items file). This is
of course WRONG and shouldn't have happened, but at the time it looked like a
reasonable solution - it will be fixed.

Geoff