[news.software.anu-news] News<->Mailing list gateway

TLIMONCE@DRUNIVAC.BITNET (Tom Limoncelli @ Drew University) (12/08/89)

I know this is going to sound funny coming from me, but need
a copy of the programs that permit ANU NEWS to receive mailing lists
as newsgroups.

So far I have been doing it with hacks and half-working .COM files
(and Tim Russell's very good ADD.COM) but now I finally have time to
"do it right".  Also, I'm moving all my listserv newsgroups from
"net.*" to "bit.listserv.*" as I recently found out "is proper."
And, since I'm going to "do it right" I figured I should get the
right software too.

(1) -- Where can I get it?

By the way, are there any plans to add the Gateway functions to the
.EXE?  This would be really great, though I still put "faster
startup" on the top of my list.

Speaking of speeding up News, I did some tests, and there seems to be
a lot of DIO.

(2) -- How does everyone else have the FDL set up on their database?

Thanks,
Tom

BAILEY%mordor.draper.com@RELAY.CS.NET (Tom Bailey, C. S. Draper Lab, x2476) (12/08/89)

"Tom Limoncelli @ Drew University"  <TLIMONCE%DRUNIVAC.BITNET@vm1.nodak.edu>
	writes:
>I know this is going to sound funny coming from me, but need
>a copy of the programs that permit ANU NEWS to receive mailing lists
>as newsgroups.

We have been working on a PMDF NEWS channel.  Also, we currently have a
system of DCL and TPU procedures based on DELIVER.  The basice idea behind each
of these is to determine to which newsgroup a mail message should be posted,
add the appropriate headers (newsgroup:, rnews (if you want to make it look
like a news feed), etc.), and mail the modified message off to the USENET or
NEWSMGR account.  After that, our normal NEWSSKIM process takes over,
extracting mail to NEWMGR, adding it to NEWS, etc.

The PMDF channel procedures have been written (DCL and TPU again) but  not
tested.  (Our postmaster is too busy to add the channel to the PMDF
configuration files.) I can send them out to anyone who is interested.  If
someone were ambitious, it shouldn't be too hard to write a channel program
(executable, not a DCL procedure) which uses the PMDF libraries and the NEWS
libraries to directly insert new messages into the NEWS database.

The DELIVER based procedures are a bit of a mess (actually the DELIVER stuff
works very well, but the DCL procedure I use to form the DELIVER database are
messy), so I don't want to send them out unless someone is *really* interested.

Send a message if you would like more information.

Tom Bailey
C. S. Draper Lab, Cambridge, MA
bailey@mordor.draper.com

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/09/89)

In article <ANU-NEWS%89120723463432@NDSUVM1.BITNET>,
 "Tom Limoncelli @ Drew University" <TLIMONCE@DRUNIVAC.BITNET> writes:
> I know this is going to sound funny coming from me, but need
> a copy of the programs that permit ANU NEWS to receive mailing lists
> as newsgroups.
>
> So far I have been doing it with hacks and half-working .COM files
> (and Tim Russell's very good ADD.COM) but now I finally have time to
> "do it right".  Also, I'm moving all my listserv newsgroups from
> "net.*" to "bit.listserv.*" as I recently found out "is proper."
> And, since I'm going to "do it right" I figured I should get the
> right software too.
>
> (1) -- Where can I get it?

The answer to this depends on what you want to do.  If what you want is to
gateway BITNET mailing list into local newsgroups, then I suspect that what
you want to do can be done with just the standard NEWS V5.9 stuff.  If you
want to gateway BITNET mailing lists to network newsgroups, then I have a
couple of programs that I wrote to gate the ANU-NEWS mailing list to
news.software.anu-news. I can send you a copy if you want it.

> By the way, are there any plans to add the Gateway functions to the
> .EXE?  This would be really great, though I still put "faster
> startup" on the top of my list.

The gateway to local newsgroups is already there, although I haven't tried
using it yet.

> Speaking of speeding up News, I did some tests, and there seems to be
> a lot of DIO.

My best guess is that this is directory lookups when opening files.  It sure
would be nice if someone could use PCA or whatever to analyse NEWS
performance.

> (2) -- How does everyone else have the FDL set up on their database?

I run the following command procedure weekly to kee the NEWS database
optimized.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

$   analyze/rms/fdl/output=news_root:newsgroups.fdl news_root:news.groups
$   edit/fdl/analyze=news_root:newsgroups.fdl/nointer news_root:newsgroups.fdl
$   convert/reclaim news_root:news.groups
$   convert/fdl=news_root:newsgroups -
             news_root:news.groups news_root:news.groups
$   purge news_root:news.groups
$   purge news_root:newsgroups.fdl
$   analyze/rms/fdl/output=news_root:newsitems.fdl news_root:news.items
$   edit/fdl/analyze=news_root:newsitems.fdl/nointer news_root:newsitems.fdl
$   convert/reclaim news_root:news.items
$   convert/fdl=news_root:newsitems.fdl -
             news_root:news.items news_root:news.items
$   purge news_root:news.items
$   purge news_root:newsitems.fdl