[news.software.anu-news] Problems with news.sys/news.distribution

tanner@cerritos.edu (12/07/89)

Since moving from News 5.7 to 5.9B, we've had a problem with News trying to
post everything to all the sites listed in NEWS.SYS.  Under 5.7 our
NEWS.DISTRIBUTION file was empty except for comments; under 5.9, any news
'source' that is not listed in NEWS.DISTRIBUTION will forward to all other
sites in NEWS.SYS.  If a news 'source' is put in NEWS.DISTRIBUTION, it will
only route news to the specified 'destinations' but will route ALL news
items added or posted, not just the newsgroups that match the corresponding
entries in NEWS.SYS.

I've managed to keep a lid on outgoing news by distributing all of my news to
NEWS.SYS entries that specify non-existant news batch files.  I still have the
problem that any local posting still tries to go out.

Help!  Has News changed from 5.7 in the usage of NEWS.DISTRIBUTION or NEWS.SYS?
Am I a victim of lack of documentation?  Or have I just done something dumb?

Thanks,
-Bruce
--
Bruce Tanner        (213) 860-2451 x 596    Tanner@Cerritos.EDU
Cerritos College    Norwalk, CA             cerritos!tanner

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (12/08/89)

In article <4897.257d3e75@cerritos.edu>, tanner@cerritos.edu writes:
> Since moving from News 5.7 to 5.9B, we've had a problem with News trying to
> post everything to all the sites listed in NEWS.SYS.  Under 5.7 our
> NEWS.DISTRIBUTION file was empty except for comments; under 5.9, any news
> 'source' that is not listed in NEWS.DISTRIBUTION will forward to all other
> sites in NEWS.SYS.  If a news 'source' is put in NEWS.DISTRIBUTION, it will
> only route news to the specified 'destinations' but will route ALL news
> items added or posted, not just the newsgroups that match the corresponding
> entries in NEWS.SYS.

	Look at your NEWS.SYS file to see if you included the word 'all' as
part of the entry for the site that gets everything.  I noticed that my
subdirectory was getting all news postings and not just the map even though
I told it to accept 'comp.mail.maps'.  I also had the 'all' specified as in
'all,world,na,...'.  Looks like 'all' overrides something and sends 'all'
newsitems regardless.

	Hope that may help.

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2

tanner@cerritos.edu (12/08/89)

In article <851.257e4ce6@dayton.saic.com>, fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) writes:
> Looks like 'all' overrides something and sends 'all'
> newsitems regardless.

That was it!  All my NEWS.SYS entries had "world,all" in them.

I can see where 'all' might stand for all newsgroups, but I can't see why
'all' means 'route all news to me'.  That's what NEWS.DISTRIBUTION is for,
isn't it?

Thanks for the help,
-Bruce

--

jeh@simpact.com (12/09/89)

In article <4897.257d3e75@cerritos.edu>, tanner@cerritos.edu writes:
> Since moving from News 5.7 to 5.9B, we've had a problem with News trying to
> post everything to all the sites listed in NEWS.SYS.  Under 5.7 our
> NEWS.DISTRIBUTION file was empty except for comments; under 5.9, any news
> 'source' that is not listed in NEWS.DISTRIBUTION will forward to all other
> sites in NEWS.SYS.  If a news 'source' is put in NEWS.DISTRIBUTION, it will
> only route news to the specified 'destinations' but will route ALL news
> items added or posted, not just the newsgroups that match the corresponding
> entries in NEWS.SYS.

In 5.8 (I think), and certainly in 5.9, the meaning of "all" changed.  I think
that it now means "everything, except for groups explicitly denied via !name".
Check your news.sys entries for "all"s, and get rid of them.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh