[news.software.anu-news] Selecting initial registered newsgroups

tanner@cerritos.edu (12/07/89)

When users run News for the first time, they are registered for all newsgroups.
The same is true for existing News readers and newly created newsgroups.

I wanted to tailor News so that new users would be registered in a certain set
of local newsgroups and no others.  This can be done by creating
NEWS_MANAGER:NEWSRC.TEMPLATE with NEWSRC. type entries for the registered
newsgroups.

You also need to change a couple of lines in News to not register new
newsgroups:

************
File USER_DISK:<UUCP.NEWS59B.NEWS_SRC>NEWSFILES.OLD;2
  342       newsgrp.grp_reg = 1;
  343       newsgrp.grp_ia = newsgrp.grp_iasize = 0;
******
File USER_DISK:<UUCP.NEWS59B.NEWS_SRC>NEWSFILES.C;3
  342       newsgrp.grp_reg = 0;	/* [BT] was 1 */
  343       newsgrp.grp_ia = newsgrp.grp_iasize = 0;
************

************
File USER_DISK:<UUCP.NEWS59B.NEWS_SRC>NEWSUTILITY.OLD;2
  924     ga[i]->grp_reg = 1;
  925     ga[i]->grp_display_indx = (cur_dir_type < DIR_NEW);
******
File USER_DISK:<UUCP.NEWS59B.NEWS_SRC>NEWSUTILITY.C;3
  924     ga[i]->grp_reg = 0;	/* [BT] was 1 */
  925     ga[i]->grp_display_indx = (cur_dir_type < DIR_NEW);
************

I would suggest to Geoff that the constants used should at least be made
symbolic and placed in NEWSSITE.H so that we can choose which way News will
act.

Cheers,
-Bruce
--
Bruce Tanner        (213) 860-2451 x 596    Tanner@Cerritos.EDU
Cerritos College    Norwalk, CA             cerritos!tanner

jeh@simpact.com (12/09/89)

In article <4898.257d63a7@cerritos.edu>, tanner@cerritos.edu writes:
> When users run News for the first time, they are registered for all newsgroups.
> The same is true for existing News readers and newly created newsgroups.

The latter is supposed to be addressed by a profile option,
SET PROFILE/NONEWREGISTER (the default) or /NEWREGISTER[="pattern list"].
For /NEWREG, the pattern list defaults to *.  However, I have noticed
that /NONEWREG doesn't seem to have any effect (other than changing the
displayed profile).

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh