[news.software.anu-news] 822 header lines in MAIL messages

tinkelman@ccavax.camb.com (11/30/89)

I've just started playing with OPEN/MAIL.  (Thanks Geoff.)  One of the things
I had assumed it would do better than VMS mail was to understand RFC822
headers for all of the mail I receive over PMDF.  Well, at least I wanted it
to act like it does for news items, not showing the header lines unless I
do a READ/HEADER.  However it doesn't seem to distinguish these lines from
the body text.  Is there a way to make it do this?  Do others agree that this
would be desirable?
--
.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
| Bob Tinkelman                        | Internet:  bob@ccavax.camb.com       |

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/02/89)

In article <13035.257507d4@ccavax.camb.com>, tinkelman@ccavax.camb.com writes:
> I've just started playing with OPEN/MAIL.  (Thanks Geoff.)  One of the things
> I had assumed it would do better than VMS mail was to understand RFC822
> headers for all of the mail I receive over PMDF.  Well, at least I wanted it
> to act like it does for news items, not showing the header lines unless I
> do a READ/HEADER.  However it doesn't seem to distinguish these lines from
> the body text.  Is there a way to make it do this?  Do others agree that this
> would be desirable?

This sounds like a good idea, but it might be a little hard to implement.
Consider a mail message where the first line of the actual body of the message
looks like a header line, for example "Problem:" or something like that.
Currently, NEWS stops processing headers when it finds a null line after a
Newsgroups: header.  Since mail messages seldom have Newsgroups: header, how
do you decide where the headers end and the body of the message begins?
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

Mats.Sundvall@bio.embnet.se (12/02/89)

In article <19095.257659eb@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
> In article <13035.257507d4@ccavax.camb.com>, tinkelman@ccavax.camb.com writes:

> This sounds like a good idea, but it might be a little hard to implement.
> Consider a mail message where the first line of the actual body of the message
> looks like a header line, for example "Problem:" or something like that.
> Currently, NEWS stops processing headers when it finds a null line after a
> Newsgroups: header.  Since mail messages seldom have Newsgroups: header, how
> do you decide where the headers end and the body of the message begins?
> --
> USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
> E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

I think the RFC says, body of message start after the first empty line.
A problem is if the message has been within VMS Mail that only handles
Subject: CC: and From: the other headers will end up in the body of the message.

	Mats Sundvall

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/05/89)

In article <24.2577cc94@bio.embnet.se>, Mats.Sundvall@bio.embnet.se writes:
> I think the RFC says, body of message start after the first empty line.
> A problem is if the message has been within VMS Mail that only handles
> Subject: CC: and From: the other headers will end up in the body of the message.

The original question concerned the handling of MAIL using OPEN/MAIL.  In this
context, some messages will have RFC822 headers and some won't.  Suppose I
have a mail message that was delivered via VMS MAIL that starts out (in the
body of the message):

Problem: NEWS doesn't handle this correctly.

Should this be treated as a header line or not?  Remember that some messages
in a MAIL file will contain headers, and some will not.  How do you tell the
two apart?
--

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (12/08/89)

>I've just started playing with OPEN/MAIL.  (Thanks Geoff.)  One of the things
>I had assumed it would do better than VMS mail was to understand RFC822
>headers for all of the mail I receive over PMDF.  Well, at least I wanted it
>to act like it does for news items, not showing the header lines unless I
>do a READ/HEADER.  However it doesn't seem to distinguish these lines from
>the body text.  Is there a way to make it do this?  Do others agree that this
>would be desirable?

V5.9C will do what you want automatically. - due out just before christmas.

Geoff Huston

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (12/08/89)

>>In article <13035.257507d4@ccavax.camb.com>, tinkelman@ccavax.camb.com writes:
>> I've just started playing with OPEN/MAIL.  (Thanks Geoff.)  One of the things
>> I had assumed it would do better than VMS mail was to understand RFC822
>> headers for all of the mail I receive over PMDF.  Well, at least I wanted it
>> to act like it does for news items, not showing the header lines unless I
>> do a READ/HEADER.  However it doesn't seem to distinguish these lines from
>> the body text.  Is there a way to make it do this?  Do others agree that this
>> would be desirable?
>
>This sounds like a good idea, but it might be a little hard to implement.
>Consider a mail message where the first line of the actual body of the message
>looks like a header line, for example "Problem:" or something like that.
>Currently, NEWS stops processing headers when it finds a null line after a
>Newsgroups: header.  Since mail messages seldom have Newsgroups: header, how
>do you decide where the headers end and the body of the message begins?

The way the code works is exactly as you describe...

when reading a mail message a flag is set to process two header blocks (i.e.
read down to the SECOND line line (null or all blanks because of BITNET doing
uncalled for padding!)

When processing the expected second header block the scanning will stop if the
first line of the second header block is not rfc822 header format.

so.. is the body of the mail starts in col 1 with a line of the form:

	text: string

then the second paragraph will be only be visible with READ/HEADER..

Geoff Huston

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/09/89)

In article <8912072204.AA07973@uunet.uu.net>,
 Geoff Huston <munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUNET.UU.NET> writes:
> The way the code works is exactly as you describe...
>
> when reading a mail message a flag is set to process two header blocks (i.e.
> read down to the SECOND line line (null or all blanks because of BITNET doing
> uncalled for padding!)
>
> When processing the expected second header block the scanning will stop if the
> first line of the second header block is not rfc822 header format.
>
> so.. is the body of the mail starts in col 1 with a line of the form:
>
> 	text: string
>
> then the second paragraph will be only be visible with READ/HEADER..

I hope you can handle something like:

Problem: I actually saw an article that was posted like this. I started out
         with something that looked like an RFC822 mail header, but was
         actually several thousand characters of text that were the body of
         the message.  An older version of news die horribly when processing
         this message because it thought the line was a (continued) header and
         tried to read it all in. The fix you put in news was to stop reading
         headers when you found a Newsgroups: header line. How will you handle
         something like this in mail?
--

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (12/11/89)

>I hope you can handle something like:
>
>Problem: I actually saw an article that was posted like this. I started out
>         with something that looked like an RFC822 mail header, but was
>         actually several thousand characters of text that were the body of
>         the message.  An older version of news die horribly when processing
>         this message because it thought the line was a (continued) header and
>         tried to read it all in. The fix you put in news was to stop reading
>         headers when you found a Newsgroups: header line. How will you handle
>         something like this in mail?

The modifications to the mail reader will NOT handle this case - with the
leading blanks in subsequent lines this is a valid RFC822 header (!)

Geoff Huston

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/12/89)

In article <8912102136.AA07018@uunet.uu.net>, Geoff Huston <munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUNET.UU.NET> writes:
> The modifications to the mail reader will NOT handle this case - with the
> leading blanks in subsequent lines this is a valid RFC822 header (!)

Hopefully this type of long "header" won't cause NEWS to die from an access
violation, like it did in earlier versions.
--

Mats.Sundvall@bio.embnet.se (12/12/89)

In article <8912102136.AA07018@uunet.uu.net>, munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) writes:
>>I hope you can handle something like:
>>
>>Problem: I actually saw an article that was posted like this. I started out
>>         with something that looked like an RFC822 mail header, but was
>>         actually several thousand characters of text that were the body of
>>         the message.  An older version of news die horribly when processing
>>         this message because it thought the line was a (continued) header and
>>         tried to read it all in. The fix you put in news was to stop reading
>>         headers when you found a Newsgroups: header line. How will you handle
>>         something like this in mail?
>
> The modifications to the mail reader will NOT handle this case - with the
> leading blanks in subsequent lines this is a valid RFC822 header (!)
>
> Geoff Huston

If my memory still serves me I do not agreee. An RFC header continues until
the first blank (empty, null) line. Then comes the body.
What this means is that you do not have to check for valid headers, you
only have to check for a blank line.
Of course letting the messages pass VAX-11 mail will break everything. It
only handles From: To: and CC:. The rest of the headers you have to put in
the body of the message, if you want to keep them.

Of course I may be wrong. I have to look into the RFC,

	Mats Sundvall
	Uppsala University
	Sweden

elsen@esat.kuleuven.ac.be (12/13/89)

In article <8912072125.AA01930@uunet.uu.net>, munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) writes:
>>I've just started playing with OPEN/MAIL.  (Thanks Geoff.)  One of the things
>>I had assumed it would do better than VMS mail was to understand RFC822
>>headers for all of the mail I receive over PMDF.  Well, at least I wanted it
>>to act like it does for news items, not showing the header lines unless I
>>do a READ/HEADER.  However it doesn't seem to distinguish these lines from
>>the body text.  Is there a way to make it do this?  Do others agree that this
>>would be desirable?
>
> V5.9C will do what you want automatically. - due out just before christmas.
>
> Geoff Huston

  Geoff , with respect to versions 5.9B and 5.9C , could you if
possible, provide complete remastered copies of them in the PSI_COPY
directory at ANU too ?

I want to save myself some time not having to go through the diff update
process,

                                             Thanks Anyway

--

  Marc Elsen (System Manager/Software Engineer)
  Katholieke Universiteit Leuven

               EMAIL : elsen@esat.kuleuven.ac.be

                       ...!kulcs!kulesat!elsen (UUCP)
                       elsen%kulesat.uucp@blekul60 (BITNET)
                       psi%02062166012::elsen  (PSI MAIL)

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (12/16/89)

Marc,

>  Geoff , with respect to versions 5.9B and 5.9C , could you if
>possible, provide complete remastered copies of them in the PSI_COPY
>directory at ANU too ?
>
>I want to save myself some time not having to go through the diff update
>process,

the answer is yes - I'll provide a copy of 5.9C next week for psi_copy access.

Geoff Huston

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (12/16/89)

Mats,

>If my memory still serves me I do not agreee. An RFC header continues until
>the first blank (empty, null) line. Then comes the body.
>What this means is that you do not have to check for valid headers, you
>only have to check for a blank line.
>
>Of course letting the messages pass VAX-11 mail will break everything. It
>only handles From: To: and CC:. The rest of the headers you have to put in
>the body of the message, if you want to keep them.

Its actually the second  area I'm looking at - where a message is passed to VMS
with BOTH the VMS and the RFC822 headers, then how can NEWS see this, and strip
off BOTH header sets.

cheers,
Geoff

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (12/16/89)

  Subj:	Re: 822 header lines in MAIL messages

>> The modifications to the mail reader will NOT handle this case - with the
>> leading blanks in subsequent lines this is a valid RFC822 header (!)
>
>Hopefully this type of long "header" won't cause NEWS to die from an access
>violation, like it did in earlier versions.

correct - its accvio-proof!

Geoff Huston

elsen@esat.kuleuven.ac.be (12/18/89)

In article <8912150733.AA17902@uunet.uu.net>, munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) writes:
> Marc,
>

>>  Geoff , with respect to versions 5.9B and 5.9C , could you if
>>possible, provide complete remastered copies of them in the PSI_COPY
>>directory at ANU too ?
>>
>>I want to save myself some time not having to go through the diff update
>>process,
>
> the answer is yes - I'll provide a copy of 5.9C next week for psi_copy access.
>
> Geoff Huston

  Thanks very much I would say !