[news.software.anu-news] Getting 5.9a working with WIN/TCP v3.2...

garrett@oscar.ccm.udel.edu (12/19/89)

Is there anybody else out there using ANU NEWS v5.9a with WIN/TCP v3.2?

I have recently FTPed the sources and such for v5.9a of NEWS from
kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (applied the SLP patches to all the files that had SLPs
for them in the 5.9a SHARE file) and have run into some problems getting
everything rebuilt.  (We're running VMS v4.7, and the .EXEs in the
news_v59a_dist saveset are for v5.0, thus the need to rebuild) Granted,
the instructions regarding special mods for WIN/TCP are very sketchy, so maybe
I've overlooked something.  But at any rate, here's how far I've gotten on my
own:

The first curious thing about this, is that I downloaded the news_v59_build
saveset, which supposedly had the up-to-date .OBJs and .OLBs in it, but I
guess that since I applied the patches to bring the 5.9 sources up to 5.9a
NEWSBUILD thought that it had to recompile everything.

The NEWSBUILD command procedure was looking for a source file by the name of
NEWSVMSMAIL.C and there wasn't one.  There was a file called NEWSMAIL.C, so
I edited NEWSBUILD to use that file instead.

There were several files that had #includes in them that weren't being
resolved properly, so I fixed those up, too.  There is still one file,
NEWSSITE.C, that has an unresolved #include for 'uaidef'  The closest thing
I could find to this one was a file called 'uafdef' in the
twg$tcp:[netdist.include.vms] directory, but when I changed the '#include
uaidef' to '#include uafdef' there was an error about an undeclared structure
so I assume that this isn't the right file.

Also, there is an error when linking the program that the linker couldn't find
the file: SYS$LIBRARY:MAILSHR.EXE  Now, there is a file called WIN_MAILSHR.EXE
in SYS$LIBRARY and I assume this is the sharable image of the WIN/TCP mailer
or the interface to it.  How can I get the NEWSBUILD stuff to use this,
assuming that this is what I really want to do?

After looking through the documentation for the program, this definitely looks
like it would be just what we need in the way of NETNEWS software, I'm just
hoping that I can get it to work at this stage.  Thanks in advance for any
advice (other than ditching TWG, it isn't _that_ bad, is it? ;-) you all might
be able to give me.

+-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Joel J. Garrett, Research Associate |         Phone: (302)-451-2332        |
|   Center for Composite Materials    |   inet:  garrett@oscar.ccm.udel.edu  |
|       University of Delaware        |                - or -                |
|       Newark, Delaware 19716        |          garrett@udel.edu            |
+-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+

SLOANE@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (12/19/89)

In article <6430@nigel.udel.EDU>, garrett@oscar.ccm.udel.edu writes:
> The NEWSBUILD command procedure was looking for a source file by the name of
> NEWSVMSMAIL.C and there wasn't one.  There was a file called NEWSMAIL.C, so
> I edited NEWSBUILD to use that file instead.

The name should be NEWSVMSMAIL.C.  There is a logical name that some systems
use that conflicts with the NEWSMAIL name.  This change was announced on the
mailing list some time ago.

> There were several files that had #includes in them that weren't being
> resolved properly, so I fixed those up, too.  There is still one file,
> NEWSSITE.C, that has an unresolved #include for 'uaidef'  The closest thing
> I could find to this one was a file called 'uafdef' in the
> twg$tcp:[netdist.include.vms] directory, but when I changed the '#include
> uaidef' to '#include uafdef' there was an error about an undeclared structure
> so I assume that this isn't the right file.

NEWS V5.9 was developed under C Version 3.0, which has the missing #include
files. Even if you don't have C3.0 installed, you should be able to extract
the missing files from the distribution.

> Also, there is an error when linking the program that the linker couldn't find
> the file: SYS$LIBRARY:MAILSHR.EXE  Now, there is a file called WIN_MAILSHR.EXE
> in SYS$LIBRARY and I assume this is the sharable image of the WIN/TCP mailer
> or the interface to it.  How can I get the NEWSBUILD stuff to use this,
> assuming that this is what I really want to do?

MAILSHR.EXE is where the Callable Mail routines live under VMS 5.x.  To get
rid of this error, you will either need to upgrade to VMS 5.x or edit the
source to remove all calles to the Callable Mail routines.

> After looking through the documentation for the program, this definitely looks
> like it would be just what we need in the way of NETNEWS software, I'm just
> hoping that I can get it to work at this stage.  Thanks in advance for any
> advice (other than ditching TWG, it isn't _that_ bad, is it? ;-) you all might
> be able to give me.

The problem isn't in the TWG software at all, it is just that you are on an
old VMS release.  If you can't get V5.9 working, you might get V5.8 from kuhub
and run it until you can put up VMS 5.x and C Version 3.0.  It works tolerably
well, and should eliminate the problems you are seeing. It should be possible
to get V5.9 working under VMS 4.7 if you keep at it.  If you need any more
help, let me know.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444