[news.software.anu-news] POSTING on behalf of non-privileged users

CSTEVE@mail.cut.oz (Steve Maddocks) (12/18/89)

How can I 'POST' an item on behalf of a user who does not have network
feed privilege?

I tried using 'ADD FILE', but the item only appeared in the local
groups.

I know I can POST using my own username, but I'll probably score more
than half the REPLIES no matter how many 'Please reply to ...' type
instructions are embedded in the original item.

Thanks for any help offered.
Steve Maddocks         Tel: (09) 351 2675                    AppleLink:AUST0176
PC Support Manager     Fax: (09) 351 2673             ACSnet:csteve@mail.cut.oz
Curtin University      Perth, Western Australia     psi%050529452300030::csteve

USENET@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (12/19/89)

In article <1607@mail.cut.oz>, CSTEVE@mail.cut.oz (Steve Maddocks) writes:
> I know I can POST using my own username, but I'll probably score more
> than half the REPLIES no matter how many 'Please reply to ...' type
> instructions are embedded in the original item.

You need to define a logical name NEWS_FROM to be the username you want in the
From: header.  Note that this must be ONLY THE USERNAME, as the domain will be
added to the end of it.  Just as an example, I did the following before
posting this:

$ DEFINE NEWS_FROM USENET

Hopefully, the From: line will contain usenet@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu.  If not then
never mind. :-)
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444