[fa.info-vax] RT-11 on the 8600

info-vax@sri-kl (10/23/85)

From: Kevin Carosso <engvax!KVC@cit-vax.ARPA>

Well, our new 8600 is just about up and running.  One interesting thing I
found out is that the console subsystem can run RT-11.  This is real handy
when you need to hunt around in the boot files and perhaps edit them to
your liking.  My problem is that the only RT-11 editor I could find on the
console RL-02 is KED.  I suspect this is an RT-11 version of EDT?  Anyway,
since my console is not a CRT and I don't know EDT (or KED) line mode, I
want TECO.  Anyone have any suggestions as to where I might get a TECO that
will run under the version of RT-11 that the 8600 console runs?

Can I just pull stuff off of an RT-11 distribution kit and put it on the
8600's RL-02?  How dependent are RT-11 images on the version of RT-11? I
have no idea what version of RT-11 is out there, does anyone know?

	/Kevin Carosso              engvax!kvc @ CIT-VAX.ARPA
	 Hughes Aircraft Co.

info-vax@sri-kl (10/24/85)

From: Gail Rubin <grubin@BBN-SPCA.ARPA>

I thought there were facilities for reading and writing console volumes
under VMS so you didn't have to deal with rt-11 yourself. There were
command files - probably in sys$update or sys$manager. One name that
I seem to recall is CONSCOPY. If you can use those, you shouldn't need
any rt-11 editor.

-- Gail Rubin
(grubin@bbn-spca or @bbn-unix)

info-vax@sri-kl (10/24/85)

From: Kevin Carosso <engvax!KVC@cit-vax.ARPA>

> I thought there were facilities for reading and writing console volumes
> under VMS so you didn't have to deal with rt-11 yourself.

Under normal circumstances this is true.  I, however, have to convince the
thing to boot off of an SI something-or-other at god-only-knows-what TR
address.  I was VERY happy to see I could talk RT-11 to the thing until I
get the SI disk drives installed and up and running.  Also, I think it's
a good idea to be able to get at the boot command files and edit them
under adverse circumstances.  I just want that extra level of security...

On 780's I try to have command files for booting off of just about anything,
but have found myself typing the bootstrap in by hand on several occasions.

	/Kevin Carosso               engvax!kvc @ CIT-VAX.ARPA
	 Hughes Aircraft Co.

ps.  I'm not using SI drives that require patched drivers, so don't tell
     me I'm attempting the impossible!  (only the unsupported)