[news.software.anu-news] PATCH doesn't

glassmann@ccavax.camb.com (12/15/89)

Does the PATCH program distributed in this newsgroup work for anybody?  I just
tried to make NEWS V5.9B.  PATCH seems to apply the patches correctly to a
temporary file.  Then it tries to rename it to the real output file name.  I
figured out that SYS$SCRATCH has to be on the same disk as the output file for
the rename to work, but it still doesn't work.  The output file that it's
trying to make is "./[.news_src]add_transform.c".  Doesn't look like a VMS
filespec to me...
--
Lenny Glassmann                glassmann@ccavax.camb.com

KARSTEN@TFL.DK (Karsten Nyblad, TFL, Denmark) (12/16/89)

Lenny Glassmann (glassmann@CCAVAX.CAMB.COM) writes:

>Does the PATCH program distributed in this newsgroup work for anybody?  I just
>tried to make NEWS V5.9B.  PATCH seems to apply the patches correctly to a
>temporary file.  Then it tries to rename it to the real output file name.  I
>figured out that SYS!SCRATCH has to be on the same disk as the output file for
>the rename to work, but it still doesn't work.  The output file that it's
>trying to make is "./#.news_src$add_transform.c".  Doesn't look like a VMS
>filespec to me...

I think it is the same bug I reported to ANU-NEWS when Geoff
submitted patches updating to version V5.9A.  I have
submitted a patch to PATCH in patch format to you Lenny, but
if others have the same problem then please mail me.  I do not
want to use net bandwidth for resubmiting old postings to
the entire list.  The patch does not correct the problem
that SYS!SCRATCH has to be on the same disk as the output
file.

Karsten Nyblad
TFL, A Danish Telecommmunication Research Laboratory
E-mail: karsten@tfl.dk

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/19/89)

In article <13856.2587bc4e@ccavax.camb.com>, glassmann@ccavax.camb.com writes:
> Does the PATCH program distributed in this newsgroup work for anybody?

I have never had much luck in making the patch program work.  That is the main
reason I haven't made Version 5.9B available here on kuhub.  Would it be
possible to provide updates as SUM/SLP files, at least until we get a reliable
version of patch?
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

KARSTEN@TFL.DK (Karsten Nyblad, TFL, Denmark) (12/21/89)

Bob Sloane writes:

>I have never had much luck in making the patch program work.  That is the main
>reason I haven't made Version 5.9B available here on kuhub.  Would it be
>possible to provide updates as SUM/SLP files, at least until we get a reliable
>version of patch?

Well patch worked for me for updating to version 5.9A.  I have not yet
tryed updating to version 5.9B.  I have just written the code for
making patch work when sys!scratch and the output file are not
on the same volume set (that normally means on the same disk).  I think
the error is in the UNIX version too|  I will not test the code before
updating to V5.9C, which I hope to do between Xmas and new year.  When
I have successfully updated to V5.9C, I will submit the patches to patch
to the mailing list together with a short how-to-do.

People who do not have patch can mail me.  I will send the patched patch to you
when I have updated to V5.9C.