[news.software.anu-news] Just what does ``Distribution'' mean?

limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) (12/11/89)

(I'm cross-posting... this started on news.newusers.questions)
Where do I find the file similar to /usr/lib/news in ANU-NEWS (for
VMS).

-Tom
--
Tom Limoncelli -- limonce@pilot.njin.net -- tlimonce@drunivac.bitnet
rutgers!njin!drew!tlimonce -- Drew University, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/12/89)

In article <Dec.10.23.57.26.1989.22402@pilot.njin.net>,
 limonce@pilot.njin.net (Tom Limoncelli) writes:
> (I'm cross-posting... this started on news.newusers.questions)
> Where do I find the file similar to /usr/lib/news in ANU-NEWS (for
> VMS).

I am a little confused.  As far as I know, /usr/lib/news in a unix news setup
is a directory, not a file.  It would correspond to NEWS_MANAGER: in ANU NEWS.

What did you think this file was supposed to contain?
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

TLIMONCE@DRUNIVAC.BITNET (Tom Limoncelli @ Drew University) (12/12/89)

Sorry, my lack of Unix knowledge shines through.

I'm looking for the place in ANU NEWS where you specify what
"Distribution" tokens you accept.  Is it the same as NEWS.SYS?

Are the subnets without periods (like "comp" or "nj" or "ny") the
same tokens one may use on the "Distribution" line?

-Tom
---
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389
:)   Standard Disclaimer: I am not the mouth-piece of Drew University
(:  "DEC's All-In-1 isn't completely useless, but it's a nice attempt."

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/12/89)

In article <ANU-NEWS%89121114195808@NDSUVM1.BITNET>,
 "Tom Limoncelli @ Drew University" <TLIMONCE@DRUNIVAC.BITNET> writes:
> Sorry, my lack of Unix knowledge shines through.
>
> I'm looking for the place in ANU NEWS where you specify what
> "Distribution" tokens you accept.  Is it the same as NEWS.SYS?
>
> Are the subnets without periods (like "comp" or "nj" or "ny") the
> same tokens one may use on the "Distribution" line?

Yes the distribution information is in NEWS.SYS.  The NEWS.SYS file basically
describes all of the systems that your local NEWS program talks to, and what
groups/distributions each system wants to see.  The first line in the file
usually describes your local system.  You should put in the names of the
distributions you want to accept and the names of the top level groups you
want to receive.  You can also exclude groups by putting in !group.  For
example if you wanted to get all of comp except the binaries groups you could
do:

mysys:local,ks,usa,na,world,comp,!comp.binaries,news::

This line says that mysys accepts postings with Distribution: set to local,
ks, usa, na, or world, and Newsgroups: set to comp.* or news.* excluding
comp.binaries.*.  You would also have lines for all of the systems you send
news to, specifying the distributions and groups they want to get.
--

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (12/16/89)

> "Tom Limoncelli @ Drew University" <TLIMONCE@DRUNIVAC.BITNET> writes:
>> Sorry, my lack of Unix knowledge shines through.
>>
>> I'm looking for the place in ANU NEWS where you specify what
>> "Distribution" tokens you accept.  Is it the same as NEWS.SYS?
>>
>> Are the subnets without periods (like "comp" or "nj" or "ny") the
>> same tokens one may use on the "Distribution" line?
>
>Yes the distribution information is in NEWS.SYS.  The NEWS.SYS file basically
>describes all of the systems that your local NEWS program talks to, and what
>groups/distributions each system wants to see.  The first line in the file
>usually describes your local system.  You should put in the names of the
>distributions you want to accept and the names of the top level groups you
>want to receive.

Bob is correct.

There is certainly confusion between acceptable newsgroups and acceptable
distribution keywords in the news.sys file. This is NOT the best way of doing
it, but is required to make VMS NEWS basically compatible with the usage of the
the NEWS.SYS control file.

Geoff Huston

SYSNET@cc.nu.oz (David Morrison) (12/21/89)

In article <8912150737.AA18815@uunet.uu.net>, munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) writes:
> There is certainly confusion between acceptable newsgroups and acceptable
> distribution keywords in the news.sys file. This is NOT the best way of doing
> it, but is required to make VMS NEWS basically compatible with the usage of the
> the NEWS.SYS control file.

I am told that C news (which is supposed to be much improved over the current
Unix news software B news) treats the distributions separately to newsgroup
hierarchies, ie, they are in a separate file.
--
David Morrison, Network Manager, Uni of Newcastle, Australia
Try sysnet@cc.nu.oz.au or sysnet@cc.nu.oz  (mail only)