[news.software.anu-news] How do YOU accept a newsfeed?

TLIMONCE@DRUNIVAC.BITNET (Tom Limoncelli @ Drew University) (12/15/89)

Yea!

Bum da ta bum!   Aaaaaaanouncing:

        Drew University is finally on Usenet!

Our map entry was accepted and will be hitting comp.mail.maps quite
soon.  We are drew.uucp.

We are running VMS 5.2, ANU NEWS 5.9B, DECUS UUCP latest version.

We've been running NEWS locally here for over a year, and I've become
sort of an expert.  Alas, now that we're getting a full newsfeed from
Rutgers, I have become a beginner again.

Questions:

I don't want to CREATE NEWSGROUP for every newsgroup that exists.
I am accepting newsgroups with ADD FILE/CREGRP but I'm getting a lot
of bogus newsgroups (mostly local groups for other sites due to
cross-posting.).  That is, someone posts to misc.forsale,ba.forsale
and it creates a ba.forsale newsgroup... and we're no where near the
Bay Area.

How does one deal with this?  I have been adding "!ba" to my news.sys
file but they still get created.  Do I have to reboot between
modifications to news.sys 1/2 :-) ?

-Tom
P.S.  Who manages the ANUNEWS listserv on the Bitnet side?  Could you
contact me?
---
 Tom Limoncelli -- tlimonce@drunivac.Bitnet -- limonce@pilot.njin.net
       Drew University -- Box 1060, Madison, NJ -- 201-408-5389
:)   Standard Disclaimer: I am not the mouth-piece of Drew University
(:  "DEC's All-In-1 isn't completely useless, but it's a nice attempt."
Domain coming soon: Drew.Edu

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (12/16/89)

In article <ANU-NEWS%89121415050247@NDSUVM1.BITNET>,
 "Tom Limoncelli @ Drew University" <TLIMONCE@DRUNIVAC.BITNET> writes:
> I don't want to CREATE NEWSGROUP for every newsgroup that exists.
> I am accepting newsgroups with ADD FILE/CREGRP but I'm getting a lot
> of bogus newsgroups (mostly local groups for other sites due to
> cross-posting.).  That is, someone posts to misc.forsale,ba.forsale
> and it creates a ba.forsale newsgroup... and we're no where near the
> Bay Area.

I tried this for a while, and didn't find it satisfactory, either. I no longer
use /CREGRP.

> How does one deal with this?  I have been adding "!ba" to my news.sys
> file but they still get created.  Do I have to reboot between
> modifications to news.sys 1/2 :-) ?

Gene Spafford posts articles to news.admin on a more or less monthly basis
that contain checkgroups control messages.  I received that last one on
November 6.  I can send you a copy.  You just need to edit out the text at the
beginning and then do and ADD FILE on it. NEWS will create a command procedure
that will create any needed groups, delete any extra groups, and add titles or
moderator status to groups as needed. This command procedure will be mailed to
the usenet account.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (12/16/89)

>I don't want to CREATE NEWSGROUP for every newsgroup that exists.
>I am accepting newsgroups with ADD FILE/CREGRP but I'm getting a lot
>of bogus newsgroups (mostly local groups for other sites due to
>cross-posting.).  That is, someone posts to misc.forsale,ba.forsale
>and it creates a ba.forsale newsgroup... and we're no where near the
>Bay Area.

a bad move!!

>How does one deal with this?  I have been adding "!ba" to my news.sys
>file but they still get created.  Do I have to reboot between
>modifications to news.sys 1/2 :-) ?

here is Australia kre jindly posts a fortnightly checkgroups message -
using the ADD FILE/EXECUTE command the checkgroups control message is processed
and only "sanctioned" newsgroups are created, and any network groups not on the
checkgroups message are given a 14 day lifetime (i.e. they will disappear
sooner or later).

the key question for your usenet local area is whether there is someone
generating a control: checkgroups message which lists those newsgroups which
are the "official" usenet newsgroups for your area.

Geoff Huston

TLIMONCE@DRUNIVAC.BITNET (Tom Limoncelli @ Drew University) (12/16/89)

Call me dense.  Maybe it's just that I'm spending too much time
studying for finals and haven't been listening to everyone
"correctly".

If someone crossposts to misc.forsale,ba.forsale and this is my first
line in NEWS.SYS:

# first entry is this node, and is what will be accepted.
drew:alt,bionet,biz,comp,control,junk,misc,news,nj,njin,ops,sci,soc,talk,\
test,to,u3b,vmsnet,!aus,!ba,!ca,!can,!clari,!gnu,!local,!micro,\
!purdue,!rec,!u3b,!unix-pc,!wpi::
#

and I add news batches like this: (from my modified NEWSSKIM_ALT.COM)

$ NEWS/NOSCREEN ADD BATCH/CREGRP/DELETE 'temp_name'

News creates both misc.forsale AND ba.forsale.

I don't see any "all" or "*" keywords in that line.  In fact, I
explicitly added "!ba".  What's up?

Is this a bug in NEWS 5.9B or am I just loonie?

-Tom
---

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (12/20/89)

>If someone crossposts to misc.forsale,ba.forsale and this is my first
>line in NEWS.SYS:
>
># first entry is this node, and is what will be accepted.
>drew:alt,bionet,biz,comp,control,junk,misc,news,nj,njin,ops,sci,soc,talk,\
>test,to,u3b,vmsnet,!aus,!ba,!ca,!can,!clari,!gnu,!local,!micro,\
>!purdue,!rec,!u3b,!unix-pc,!wpi::
>#
>
>and I add news batches like this: (from my modified NEWSSKIM_ALT.COM)
>
>$ NEWS/NOSCREEN ADD BATCH/CREGRP/DELETE 'temp_name'
>
>News creates both misc.forsale AND ba.forsale.

This has me beat - in newsutility do_newg calls sys_accept (or some similar
name) which should reject newsgroup ba.forsale and NOT create it - what version
are you running????

I cannot see in the code why this newsgroup should be created (and I can't
repeat the problem here) - but that means very little of course :-)

cheers,
Geoff Huston

tlimonce@drunivac.uucp (12/22/89)

In article <8912190551.AA27490@uunet.uu.net>,
munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) writes:
> This has me beat - in newsutility do_newg calls sys_accept (or some similar
> name) which should reject newsgroup ba.forsale and NOT create it - what version
> are you running????

We're running version 5.9B (Or is it 5.9A?  I'm not sure.  I did at
least one set of patches but it's the set that didn't include a
change to the VERSION command.  I guess that's 5.9A, eh?)

Guess what?  The problem magically fixed itself.  How often does NEWS
re-read the NEWS.SYS file?  Only when the first person enters news?
The problem went away after a few days, which is about how often
there is a time when everyone exits news.

I don't think we rebooted, we're pretty 24hrs around here (library
automation mostly, students reading news and mail is the other
reason) so if we crashed & rebooted I would have heard about it.

-Tom
(replying to this addres won't work yet... try tlimonce@drew.bitnet,
tlimonce@drew.uucp, rutgers!drew!tlimonce or limonce@pilot.njin.net)