[news.software.anu-news] Mail Delivery Failure to uk.ac.king - Timeout

root@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK (12/30/89)

The NIFTP process was unable to
deliver your mail to host uk.ac.king
over janet.

The reason given by the local host was:

The NIFTP process gave up after 107 attempts over 168 hours

Your message was not delivered to the following addresses:
	GPKING@uk.ac.kingston

	Your message begins as follows:

Date:     Thu, 21 Dec 89 22:00:50 GMT
From:     glassmann@com.camb.ccavax
Subject:  arbitron is coming
To:       Multiple recipients of list ANU-NEWS <ANU-NEWS@earn.ndsuvm1>
Sender: ANU-NEWS%earn.ndsuvm1@uk.ac.earn-relay

I've made some progress on writing arbitron.  It should be ready in a couple of
days.  I'm trying to do approximately the same thing that the unix script does.
I'm writing it in C, using lot's of calls to NEWS functions, there was no
practical way to write it in DCL.  I'll send more details soon.
--
Lenny Glassmann                glassmann@ccavax.camb.com

root@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK (12/30/89)

The NIFTP process was unable to
deliver your mail to host uk.ac.king
over janet.

The reason given by the local host was:

The NIFTP process gave up after 116 attempts over 168 hours

Date:     Thu, 21 Dec 89 21:41:50 GMT
From:     tanner@edu.cerritos
Subject:  Re: How to use patch?
To:       Multiple recipients of list ANU-NEWS <ANU-NEWS@earn.ndsuvm1>
Sender: ANU-NEWS%earn.ndsuvm1@uk.ac.earn-relay

In article <4981.25908cae@pbs.uucp>, sdroppers@pbs.uucp writes:
> I have checked back, but I cannot find anything, is there a man page or such
> that someone can post (or E-Mail) about how to use patch?  If patch is a *nix
> tool then I am in the dark, we have no such docs available.

Here's a DCL file I used to patch 5.9C.  I copied the News 5.9 sources and the
5.9C .DIFF files to a directory (yes, on the same disk as sys$scratch) and
executed this file.  Everything seemed to update fine.  Beware the logical
UTL:, it's where we put our utilities.

$ set noon
$ patch := $utl:patch
$ rename newsmail.c newsvmsmail.c
$ context = 0
$loop:  ! loop for all .diff files
$ dif = f$search("*.diff",context)
$ if dif .eqs. "" then exit
$ name = f$parse(dif,,,"name") + f$parse(dif,,,"type")  ! make short filename
$ open file 'dif'
$ read/end_of_file=empty file line  ! read the diff file header
$ start = f$locate("]",line) + 1
$ dest = f$extract(start,f$length(line)-start,line)  ! extract filename
$ read/end_of_file=empty file line
$ read/end_of_file=empty file line  ! test for empty diff files
$ write sys$output "patching ''dest'"
$ patch 'dest' 'name''type'
$empty:  ! .diff file contains header only, skip patch
$ close file
$ goto loop

If you need patch.exe, it's on gray.cerritos.edu for anonymous ftp.

-Bruce
--
Bruce Tanner        (213) 860-2451 x 596    Tanner@Cerritos.EDU
Cerritos College    Norwalk, CA             cerritos!tanner

root@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK (12/30/89)

The NIFTP process was unable to
deliver your mail to host uk.ac.king
over janet.

The reason given by the local host was:

The NIFTP process gave up after 85 attempts over 170 hours

Date:     Fri, 22 Dec 89 04:49:58 GMT
From:     tlimonce@uucp.drunivac
Subject:  Re: How do YOU accept a newsfeed?
To:       Multiple recipients of list ANU-NEWS <ANU-NEWS@earn.ndsuvm1>
Sender: ANU-NEWS%earn.ndsuvm1@uk.ac.earn-relay

In article <8912190551.AA27490@uunet.uu.net>,
munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) writes:
> This has me beat - in newsutility do_newg calls sys_accept (or some similar
> name) which should reject newsgroup ba.forsale and NOT create it - what versio
> are you running????

We're running version 5.9B (Or is it 5.9A?  I'm not sure.  I did at
least one set of patches but it's the set that didn't include a
change to the VERSION command.  I guess that's 5.9A, eh?)

Guess what?  The problem magically fixed itself.  How often does NEWS
re-read the NEWS.SYS file?  Only when the first person enters news?
The problem went away after a few days, which is about how often
there is a time when everyone exits news.

I don't think we rebooted, we're pretty 24hrs around here (library
automation mostly, students reading news and mail is the other
reason) so if we crashed & rebooted I would have heard about it.

-Tom
(replying to this addres won't work yet... try tlimonce@drew.bitnet,
tlimonce@drew.uucp, rutgers!drew!tlimonce or limonce@pilot.njin.net)

root@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK (12/30/89)

The NIFTP process was unable to
deliver your mail to host uk.ac.king
over janet.

The reason given by the local host was:

The NIFTP process gave up after 88 attempts over 168 hours

Date:     Fri, 22 Dec 89 17:12:43 GMT
From:     Daniel Berglund <foperator@se.chalmers.tekno>
Subject:  Re: Troubles adding batches with 5.9B
To:       Multiple recipients of list ANU-NEWS <ANU-NEWS@earn.ndsuvm1>
Sender: ANU-NEWS%earn.ndsuvm1@uk.ac.earn-relay

In article <8912190723.AA14204@uunet.uu.net>,
  munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) writes:
>>Suggestions:  1. Add an interpretation of the error status return from
>>file open attempts.  These messages would be a lot more helpful if
>>accompanied by "no privilege for attempted operation" or "no such device"
>>or whatever.

> its just another of the integration problems - vaxc is not quite VMS - at this
> point the NEWS code sees a -1 value from a file operation and says "oh well -
> nice try" - to get past this to the RMS return status is what you are asking
> for... could be interesting!

Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious, but the rms STS value can be
found in vaxc$errno (but I don't know how to access the STV value). Example:

#include errno
#include perror

main()
        fopen("sahdjgf$$$","r");
        perror("Blurp");
        printf("%d %d\n",errno,vaxc$errno);
        fopen("sdf:asjklhdf$$$","r");
        perror("Blurp");
        printf("%d %d\n",errno,vaxc$errno);
        fopen("gdgd%gsgs","r");
        perror("Blurp");
        printf("%d %d\n",errno,vaxc$errno);

yields:

$ r apa
Blurp: no such file or directory
2 98962
Blurp: no such device or address
6 99524
Blurp: non-translatable vms error code: 0x18744, vms message:
%rms-f-wld, invalid wildcard operation
65535 100164

--
Daniel Berglund       (foperator@tekno.chalmers.se, BITNET: FOP@SECTHF51)
Chalmers University of Technology, G|teborg, Sweden

root@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK (12/30/89)

The NIFTP process was unable to
deliver your mail to host uk.ac.king
over janet.

The reason given by the local host was:

The NIFTP process gave up after 91 attempts over 172 hours

Date:     Thu, 21 Dec 89 19:55:39 GMT
From:     brodie@edu.mcw.fps
Subject:  Re: RE: rot13 utility in DCL.  (and TPU suggestion)
To:       Multiple recipients of list ANU-NEWS <ANU-NEWS@earn.ndsuvm1>
Sender: ANU-NEWS%earn.ndsuvm1@uk.ac.earn-relay

In article <8912200842.AA22375@uunet.uu.net>, munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUNET
.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) writes:

[stuff deleted about my dcl rot13 utility)

> I'm impressed!!!

thanks, geoff!!

>>READ/ROT13, so it shouldn't be TOO tough....)
>
> Wouldn't it be better to have a TPU edit procedure called rot13 to allow you
> to rot the necessary bits??
> (said he trying to avoid having to add the code)
>
> Geoff

hey, now THERE's a neat idea.   The tricky part is to tell TPU to do the
ROT13 stuff when WRITING the file upon exit.  Sounds neat, and I'm sure
it's pretty easy to do.  Unfortunately, I don't know tpu programming
at ALL...  never had time do learn it (I really should... maybe this would
be a good project?)

unless someone ELSE wants to do it.....
Kent C. Brodie - Systems Manager                brodie@mcw.edu
Medical College of Wisconsin                    +1 414 778 4500

"Gee, I hope these are the right coordinates..."  -Chief O'Brian; STTNG

root@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK (12/30/89)

The NIFTP process was unable to
deliver your mail to host uk.ac.king
over janet.

The reason given by the local host was:

The NIFTP process gave up after 77 attempts over 168 hours

Date:     Fri, 22 Dec 89 14:07:42 GMT
From:     brodie@edu.mcw.fps
Subject:  TPU procedure for rot13.  My examples.  (enjoy)
To:       Multiple recipients of list ANU-NEWS <ANU-NEWS@earn.ndsuvm1>
Sender: ANU-NEWS%earn.ndsuvm1@uk.ac.earn-relay

Well, here it is, my first attempt at TPU programming.  I have to
thanks Geoff for forcing me to do this (well, not forcing, but I
needed a good excuse to learn how to do junk inside of TPU for a
change....   up to this point, I'd never used my own SECTION file.
Damned neat, once you take the time to learn it......)

First off, I would like to show you my "first" attempt at a rot-13
procedure.   works pretty damned good, for a first try....
(no flames, please.  I'm a good programmer, but TPU is totally new to
me.  It doesn;t help when you don't know all of the neat stuff available..)

!
! TPU procedure to ROT13 a text file.
! Copyright (C) 1989 Kent C. Brodie / Medical College of Wisconsin
! This software is available to all VAX users, and can be distributed
! freely as long as the above copyright is included.   So there.
!
procedure eve_rot13
message ("Beginning ROT13 procedure...");
letterpat := ANY("ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz");

  position(beginning_of(current_buffer));                       ! Go to the star
t of the current buffer

loop;                                           ! For each character in buffer
 exitif (mark(none) = end_of(current_buffer));  ! exit if EOF found
 match_pos := search_quietly (letterpat, FORWARD);      ! find the next (A-Z|a-z
)
 exitif (match_pos = 0);
 position (match_pos);                  ! go there
 letterval := ASCII(current_character);
 newletter := "";
 if (letterval >= 65) and (letterval <= 90)
  then
    if (letterval > 77)
      then
         letterval := letterval - 13;
      else
         letterval := letterval + 13;
    endif;
    newletter := ASCII(letterval);
  else
    if (letterval >= 97) and (letterval <= 122)
       then
          if (letterval > 109)
            then
               letterval := letterval - 13;
            else
               letterval := letterval + 13;
          endif;
       newletter := ASCII(letterval);
       endif;
  endif;
if (newletter <> "")
  then
     deleted_char := erase_character(1);
     copy_text(newletter);
  endif;
endloop;
endprocedure;

that was my first try.   Then I realized that was pretty gross, so I
bettered it.  I removed all of those multiple if statements, and
used a long alphabet string.   Locate the letter, move 13 right,
grab the new letter, done.    My first example used too many of the
old "fortran" or "pascal" methods of doing it.    The second pass
made use of the TPU string handling junk.   much nicer.

!
! TPU procedure to ROT13 a text file.
! Copyright (C) 1989 Kent C. Brodie / Medical College of Wisconsin
! This software is available to all VAX users, and can be distributed
! freely as long as the above copyright is included.   So there.
!
! This procedure works by utilizing the string handling capabilities
! of TPU.  The string "letters" is used for the rot-ting process, which
! is why there are TWO sets of upper and lower case.  In this fashion,
! the "rot" factor (see variable rotfactor) can be changed to create a
! new rot program (such as rot17, etc.).
!
procedure eve_rot13

 !declare program constants to be used.   Change "rotfactor" to do the
 !rot-ting of your choice.  Due to popularity, the default is 13.
 !
 rotfactor := 13;
 letterpat := ANY("ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz");
 letters := "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmno
pqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";

 message ("Beginning ROT13 procedure...");
 position(beginning_of(current_buffer));        ! Go to the top...

loop;                                           ! For each character in buffer
 exitif (mark(none) = end_of(current_buffer));  ! exit if EOF found
 match_pos := search_quietly (letterpat, FORWARD);      ! find the next (A-Z|a-z
)
 exitif (match_pos = 0);                        ! exit if no more letters found
 position (match_pos);                          ! go there
 letterpos := index (letters,current_character); ! Look in "letters" for index
 letterpos := letterpos + rotfactor;            ! ad the "rot factor" to the ind
ex
 newletter := substr (letters,letterpos,1);     ! create the new letter
 deleted_char := erase_character(1);            ! delete the old character
 copy_text(newletter);                          ! replace it with the new one.
endloop;
endprocedure;

Now I thought I was done.  Nice, clean, compact code.   Then I saw it.
(gee, you mean it helps to RTFM?)   heh.    God bless it, it was right
in the (^!%^(&! book.   Seems there's this neat little TPU built-in
called TRANSLATE that does all the work for you, and is quite flexible.

I basically ended up stealing this from the book, but hey, that's what
us computer folk do best, make use of someone ELSE's work..

!
! TPU procedure to ROT13 a text file.
! 12/20/1989 Kent C. Brodie / Medical College of Wisconsin
!
! This procedure example was taken from page 4-352 of the VAXTPU reference
! manual.   Seems that TPU has a REAL easy way to do this, using the TRANSLATE
! built-in.
!
procedure eve_rot13

  translate (current_buffer,
  "NOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklm",
  "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz");
  message ("ROT13 complete.")
endprocedure;

cute, eh?

(and about 10 times faster than my code.  *sigh*...)
Kent C. Brodie - Systems Manager                brodie@mcw.edu
Medical College of Wisconsin                    +1 414 778 4500

"Gee, I hope these are the right coordinates..."  -Chief O'Brian; STTNG

root@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK (12/30/89)

The NIFTP process was unable to
deliver your mail to host uk.ac.king
over janet.

The reason given by the local host was:

The NIFTP process gave up after 114 attempts over 169 hours

Date:     Fri, 22 Dec 89 18:22:41 GMT
From:     Earle Ake <fac2@com.saic.dayton>
Subject:  Re: RE: rot13 utility in DCL. (TPU solution!)
To:       Multiple recipients of list ANU-NEWS <ANU-NEWS@earn.ndsuvm1>
Sender: ANU-NEWS%earn.ndsuvm1@uk.ac.earn-relay

In article <3286.2590eeeb@fps.mcw.edu>, brodie@fps.mcw.edu writes:
> In article <8912200842.AA22375@uunet.uu.net>, munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUN
ET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) writes:

>> Wouldn't it be better to have a TPU edit procedure called rot13 to allow you
>> to rot the necessary bits??
>> (said he trying to avoid having to add the code)

I wasn't doing much today so I took out the TPU manual and discovered that TPU
has a function called TRANSLATE which will do what I wanted.  The example even
shows a way to use it to rotate every character by 13 to 'encrypt' them!
Sounds like just what I have been looking for.  I am using Ted Nieland's
EDT-Plus editor so the procedure will have to be modified slightly for use
with an other TPU based editor.  I started with the procedure that changes the
case of the letters either one at a time or those within the select range.
Instead of using the change_case function, I made it the TRANSLATE function.
I have defined the key to be GOLD-T as that was not being used.

Let me know what you think.

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2

!EDTP ROT13
!
PROCEDURE EDTP$rot13            !gold r (rot13)

LOCAL    character ;
!check for active select
EDTP$select_range;
if EDTP$x_select_range <> 0
then
    TRANSLATE (EDTP$x_select_range,
               "NOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklm",
               "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz");
    EDTP$x_select_range:=0;
    return;
endif;

!change case of current character

if current_character <> EDTP$x_empty
then
     character :=current_character;
     TRANSLATE (character,
                "NOPQRSTUVWXYZABCDEFGHIJKLMnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklm",
                "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz");
     erase_character(1);
     copy_text(character);
     if current_direction <> forward
     then
         move_horizontal(-2);
     endif;
     return
endif;
ENDPROCEDURE

DEFINE_KEY('EDTP$rot13',key_name('T',shift_key),"rot13");       ! rot13

root@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK (12/30/89)

The NIFTP process was unable to
deliver your mail to host uk.ac.king
over janet.

The reason given by the local host was:

The NIFTP process gave up after 119 attempts over 170 hours

Date:     Fri, 22 Dec 89 20:58:52 GMT
From:     glassmann@com.camb.ccavax
To:       Multiple recipients of list ANU-NEWS <ANU-NEWS@earn.ndsuvm1>
Sender: ANU-NEWS%earn.ndsuvm1@uk.ac.earn-relay

In article <8912190723.AA14204@uunet.uu.net>, munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUNET
.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) writes:
> its just another of the integration problems - vaxc is not quite VMS - at this
> point the NEWS code sees a -1 value from a file operation and says "oh well -
> nice try" - to get past this to the RMS return status is what you are asking
> for... could be interesting!

I thought this info could be gotten from the global variable vaxc$errno.
--
Lenny Glassmann                glassmann@ccavax.camb.com