[news.software.anu-news] SRI Multinet NNTP transport

asleeman@waikato.ac.nz (Andrew Sleeman (Computer Services)) (01/11/90)

Help

Has anybody installed ANU-News on a VMS system running SRI's Multinet TCP/IP
I am about to have a go at installing it and would be very grateful for any
assistance as I am new to both Usenet and VMS.

Andrew Sleeman
a.sleeman@waikato.ac.nz

Mats.Sundvall@bio.embnet.se (Mats Sundvall) (01/11/90)

In article <1990Jan11.000253.28409@waikato.ac.nz>, asleeman@waikato.ac.nz (Andrew Sleeman (Computer Services)) writes:
> Help
>
> Has anybody installed ANU-News on a VMS system running SRI's Multinet TCP/IP
> I am about to have a go at installing it and would be very grateful for any
> assistance as I am new to both Usenet and VMS.
>
> Andrew Sleeman
> a.sleeman@waikato.ac.nz

No problem, just compile NEWS on a machine with Multinet installed
and start using it.

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (01/12/90)

>Has anybody installed ANU-News on a VMS system running SRI's Multinet TCP/IP
>I am about to have a go at installing it and would be very grateful for any
>assistance as I am new to both Usenet and VMS.

Yes - that work has been done - you'll need to recompile the sources with
MULTINET #defined (which is done automatically by running NEWSBUILD), and that
should be all there is to it.

The folks at TGV will be sending me a copy of Multinet real soon to allow me to
work on multinet support at first hand. This means that future version of NEWS
will have possibly better support for Multinet - in particular I am very
interested in providing a multi-threaded nntp server over multinet allowing a
single VMS process to service a number of remote NNTP clients simultaneously.

cheers,
Geoff Huston