[news.software.anu-news] More questions about NNTP and served newsgroups.

SMITH%MCCLB0.MED.NYU.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Ross Smith: (212) 340-5356) (01/13/90)

Futher to Jim Gerland's questions:  I have set up a 'served' newsgroup for test
-ing purposes, and it seems to be working ok in terms of reading news items.

Now the question is: What happens when someone posts something to a served
group?  Right now it looks as though it is added locally, and the message ID is
put in the list in the .IDS file for forwarding by the same mechanism as items
posted to any other (served) group.

Now this is OK, of course, if this is how it is meant to work.  I had the idea,
probably wrong, that the new posting to a served group would be placed directly
into the remote server database, and not kept locally at all.

[[Sorry I meant: .... (non-served) group above.]]

spain@mdcbbs.com (01/13/90)

In article <F536782EE03F004F47@MCCLB0.MED.NYU.EDU>, SMITH%MCCLB0.MED.NYU.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU (Ross Smith: (212) 340-5356) writes:
> Now the question is: What happens when someone posts something to a served
> group?  Right now it looks as though it is added locally, and the message ID is
> put in the list in the .IDS file for forwarding by the same mechanism as items
> posted to any other (served) group.
>
> Now this is OK, of course, if this is how it is meant to work.  I had the idea,
> probably wrong, that the new posting to a served group would be placed directly
> into the remote server database, and not kept locally at all.

NEWSSKIM should find any locally posted newsitems and create a COLLECT.IDS file
(sounds like it is already doing this).  When NEWSSKIM finds a COLLECT.IDS
file, it *should* invoke the NNTP_FEED image which creates a NNTP.BATCH file
over on your server system.

Side Note: I found that the NNTP.BATCH file was not being feed into my server
newsgroups properly (for some reason 5.9 required the /NEWSGROUP qualifier even
though the newsgroup was specified in the file) so... I wrote a short command
file to break out the various newsitems and feed them into the right newsgroups
using the qualifier /NEWSGROUP=newsgroup.

Hope this helps.  We are strugglin' over here a bit too :-).  Wouldn't it be
nice to have a VMSINSTAL version of NEWS (assuming all of the idiosyncracies
could be handled/automated) :-).

 | Harrison M. Spain III |    Voice: (714) 952-6114            |
 | McDonnell Douglas M&E | Internet: spain@mdcbbs.com          |
 | 5701 Katella Ave.     |     UUCP: uunet!mdcbbs!spain        |
 | Cypress, CA  90630    |      PSI: PSI%31060099980019::SPAIN |