[news.software.anu-news] Registering for new groups

glassmann@ccavax.camb.com (01/08/90)

We're running NEWS V5.9C.  In earlier versions, when a new group was created,
all users were registered for that group the next time they used news.  This is
no longer the case.  Is there something I'm supposed to set, or is this a bug
(or a feature)?
--
Lenny Glassmann                glassmann@ccavax.camb.com

sdroppers@pbs.uucp (Seton Droppers) (01/09/90)

In article <14873.25a85f8c@ccavax.camb.com>, glassmann@ccavax.camb.com writes:
> We're running NEWS V5.9C.  In earlier versions, when a new group was created,
> all users were registered for that group the next time they used news.  This is
> no longer the case.  Is there something I'm supposed to set, or is this a bug
> (or a feature)?
> --
> Lenny Glassmann                glassmann@ccavax.camb.com
There is a new PROFILE setting in 5.9C allowing you to select what, if any,
newsgroups will be registered for you as they are created.  From my reading of
the help file the default is no new newsgroups will be registered.  Lots more
information in help for SET PROFILE and REGISTER.
--
Seton Droppers  -- "Anything that I say is my opinion and not my employer's."
Public Broadcasting Service, 1320 Braddock Pl. Alexandria, VA 22314

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (01/16/90)

>In article <14873.25a85f8c@ccavax.camb.com>, glassmann@ccavax.camb.com writes:
>> We're running NEWS V5.9C.  In earlier versions, when a new group was created,
>> all users were registered for that group the next time they used news.  This
 is
>> no longer the case.  Is there something I'm supposed to set, or is this a bug
>> (or a feature)?
>
>There is a new PROFILE setting in 5.9C allowing you to select what, if any,
>newsgroups will be registered for you as they are created.  From my reading of
>the help file the default is no new newsgroups will be registered.  Lots more
>information in help for SET PROFILE and REGISTER.

Bug or feature all depends on whether you were one of those you posted
complaints on this aspect of NEWS!!!!

In NEWSSITE.H, the constant NEWGROUP_REG is set to 0 by default. setting this to
1 will alter the default behaviour of NEWS.

cheers,
Geoff Huston