[news.software.anu-news] How rebuild the newsitems.v50 file

system@bsu-ucs.uucp (Michael E. White) (01/11/90)

Our newsitems.v50 file got clobbered somehow is there a way to rebuild it?
I created a new blank file and new items seem to be going into it ok but I
still have some newsitems in the news directories that are not showing up
and the total newsgroup message count is not correct. Any pointers from the
net would be welcomed. Thanks.

--
== Michael E. White
==   UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!mewhite

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/13/90)

In article <12605@bsu-ucs.uucp>, system@bsu-ucs.uucp (Michael E. White) writes:
> Our newsitems.v50 file got clobbered somehow is there a way to rebuild it?
> I created a new blank file and new items seem to be going into it ok but I
> still have some newsitems in the news directories that are not showing up
> and the total newsgroup message count is not correct. Any pointers from the
> net would be welcomed. Thanks.

Try:

NEWS>  ADD FILE/RETRY NEWS_DEVICE:[...]*.ITM

This will recover all the articles that don't already exist in the
database. It will certainly not preserve that article numbers, so
everyone's NEWSRC file will be obsolete.  It may also change the order
of some articles, for example old article 1 will be followed by old
article 10, rather than 2, because they will be added in alphabetical
order. If this is a problem, then use appropiate wild cards to add the
articles in the correct order, %.itm first, then %%.itm, etc.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (01/16/90)

>Our newsitems.v50 file got clobbered somehow is there a way to rebuild it?
>I created a new blank file and new items seem to be going into it ok but I
>still have some newsitems in the news directories that are not showing up
>and the total newsgroup message count is not correct. Any pointers from the
>net would be welcomed. Thanks.

The SKIM command will remove all the "orphan" text files and correctly reset
the newsgroup counts.

The command sequence

	NEWS> ADD FILE/RETRY NEWS_DEVICE:[000000...]*.ITM
        NEWS> SKIM

will restore the "lost" item files BUT
1 - depending on the number of newsgroups you support this command could take
cpu hours

2- all "restored" item entries will end up with the current date, which will
cause all your readers too see these items as unread (which will not make you
overly popular)

I seem to remember a posting a few months ago on a more sensible way to recover
these entries, but have lost it in the amazing mess I laughingly refer to as my
mail folder.

Geoff Huston

tp@mccall.uucp (01/19/90)

In article <9001151008.AA03889@uunet.uu.net>, munnari!csc.anu.oz.au!gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) writes:
> 	NEWS> ADD FILE/RETRY NEWS_DEVICE:[000000...]*.ITM
>         NEWS> SKIM

If your news disk is not big enough to temporarily hold 2 copies of all the
news, you will want to add /DELETE to the ADD FILE command. The add file
will create a brand new file every time it adds an item. If you don't put
the /delete on there, you will have 2 copies of each news item. SKIM will
get rid of the extras, but not until you've duplicated all your item files.

I had to do this once, because almost all incoming articles were being
rejected (including the one containing the program that can do this whole
job in a few hours without resetting dates, etc...). This only took about
40 hours to run (yes HOURS), but only because I deleted all the items in a
lot of high volume groups because I started.
--
Terry Poot (800)255-2762, in Kansas (913)776-4041
The McCall Pattern Company, 615 McCall Rd., Manhattan, KS 66502, USA